Hose vs spreader--

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by humble1, Jun 24, 2008.

1. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

I can spray a small lawn faster assuming not alot of stuff in the way, than unloading my ride on then having to spot treat the edges.

However i can rideon 120K and only sweat because the suns on me.

Any of you do a little of both?

2. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

No, I do a lot of both.

3. Laner

Laner LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 3pt hitch mounted sprayer for larger lawns and a space-saver setup. Used both tonight and sprayed 5 lawns. 4 were good sized, but one of those has a lot of obstacles, so I used the tractor on 3 of the lawns (mainly the back yards where they were more wide open areas). Used the hose on the fronts of those 3 where the majority of obstacles are located and on the entire lawn of the other large property due to many trees and landscape beds. The last one was small enough to use the hose quickly.
    Draggin' the hose makes me sweat, but I know that I get better coverage on the edges and around obstacles with the hose.

4. Hissing Cobra

Hissing Cobra LawnSite Senior Member

Back when I was applying, I would do both. I'd carry 300 gallons of Liquid Fertilizer + Lesco 3-Way and I'd also carry granular fertilizer + 3-Way in a backpack sprayer. I'd quickly scan each lawn before the application and if there were a lot of weeds, a blanket spray would take place. If there weren't too many weeds, a granular application + a spot spraying would commence. I liked using the granular fertilizer better because it would last longer (the lawns would stay greener longer).

5. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

NIce...........

We dont pull hose anymore....hand held spreader and a 2 gal sprayer for the small lawns. PG for the average lawns. Z for the large and commercial lawns....or when we get behind schedule:dizzy:

I use my tanks for water, trees and roundup that is it. (not all the same tank they are dedicated)