hostas and compainion plants HELP

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by barefeetny, Feb 24, 2008.

1. barefeetny

barefeetny LawnSite Senior Member

I have a question that maybe someone could help me with

i have a driveway about 100' that has a single row of Hosta Plantain Lily growing along..

They are long time established and are really thick when they come up...

the homeowner wants to remove sections of this hosta... every 18" they want to remove 18" and plant diffrent species of hostas....

I don't know about the plan... i would rather substitute another plant instead...The yard is very formal so symatry is important..I was thinking a broadleaf fern...

anyone have any ideas or experience

Nate

2. VO Landscape Design

VO Landscape Design LawnSite Senior Member

If they want more formal there are thousands of Hosta's. Maybe more yellow or something with a white edge. Maybe Coral Bells (heuchera) also many colors. Liriope (big blue) or a varigated variety. Pot up they Hosta's and reuse them, very hardy plants.
    VO

3. barefeetny

you ain't lying

you can't kill a hosta... they are hardy.... i'll pot them... i still don't know... maybe is i can add a few diffrent colors in there and still stay formal it will be ok

i definitly was going to pot them.... i'll eventually get paid somewhere to replant them ..

4. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

If they are that big just split them and make two plants out of 1. We find by splitting them every 3 or so years they actually flower better. As everyone else said, very hardy.

my problem with fern would be moisture requirements. Do you have irrigation available. I haven't had much luck with ferns in places that have no regular watering. Soil needs to stay constantly moist.

How shady is this area were the hostas are? Deep shader, filtered light, etc?

5. barefeetny

they sit completly in the full sun but get plently of water from irragation seperate zone plus the way the driveway slopes every rain the area gets soaked well.

I just have a hard problem trying to think of a plant that would fit good inbetween two hostas...that isn't another hosta..

Nate

6. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Ferns love shade. They aren't going to be good companion plants. How about adding a little height w/some ornamental grasses?

7. barefeetny

thats a definite thought.... maybe i'll plug some into my little program and see what looks good....

thanks

Nate

8. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

I agree completely with barefeetny in this instance.

The whole problem with this theory is that the hostas that you'll be "leaving" will, of course, be multipling naturally by rhizomes over time, and spreading out.

So the plants you place in between them must be of equal aggressiveness or the whole concept will fall apart in a few years; when one type of plant begins to 'overrun' the other and ruin the symmetry.

I recommend looking for another type of hosta of 'equal' rhizomial aggressiveness; that would compement the existing hosta colors by successfully contrasting them.
    The customer should LOVE that !!

...and don't forget to serve up the beer in the jar lids next summer !

9. barefeetny

i'm going to try a few things but hosta... seems to be the smart way back out....

anyone planted any of the exicitng new cross breeds.... looking for something way diffrent... seen some blue and white varitetys that were pretty cool looking...

i'm in zone 4-5

10. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Hmmm....

Can you dig up a pic of the ones that are already there, and post it here?