Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by redoak77, Nov 4, 2004.

1. redoak77

redoak77 LawnSite Senior Member

I have about 40 hostas to trim next week and i was wondering what is the best way to trim them back and how much to leave above the ground?
  2. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

I just pul all the leaves up in one hand and use hand pruners to cut them. Then throw the clippings in the bucket or wheelburrow. I cut them about 1 to 2 inches from the ground. Guess it's right, they always come back.
  3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Since you are in Ohio don't trim them back until spring, that is when you pull the leaves off of them
  4. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

That's good thinking Tiedeman.
  5. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Winter or spring - depends on the location. In a visible, prominent location, the dead leaves can be considered unsightly now and all during the winter. People are turned off by dead things, LOL. While they do come up easier in the spring - no need to cut them, they're often broken off already - I remove most of mine in the fall.

Easiest method I've found is an old serated knife, cutting at ground level and rolling the cut leaves along. Then lift piles into a sheet, and carry to trailer.
  6. Liberty Lawncare

Liberty Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

String trimmer about 2 inches above ground. Our hostas grow like nuts. We take the extra and plant them inthe woods the deer think its a salad bar.
  7. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

For that many we use thick trimmer line and leave about an inch above the ground. Been doing it this way for years and it saves allot of time and they always come back nicely in spring. Right now they are starting to look very unsightly and most people want them cut back prior to winter.