hot days fan in the cab?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ant, May 13, 2001.

1. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

with no a/c in a service vehicle does a fan help?
    you see them in buses,fed-ex ect...
    ant

2. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I had an old Ford Ranger when Ifirst started that the Air Cond went out on. After deciding not to repair it, I went to the local Wal-Mart and bought a dash mounted fan for about $8. Hey, it wasn't air cond, but it at least took the edge off.

3. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

We have fans mounted in most all of our construction equipment without AC. They are mounted near the window so that they take the fresh air from outside in and blow it on the operator. It helps out a lot, its not as cold as AC of course, but a semi-cool breeze is better than non at all, right? Seems to help keep the pesky little bugs away from your head too.

Hope this helps!

4. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

I would never buy a truck without air. As soon as it gets above 80 we turn thr air on, I don't even turn the truck of when we get out to cut.

5. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

in environmental emergency class i learned that moving air (fan) is one of the best ways to cool a person down.

6. Vandora Lawn & Landscape

Vandora Lawn & Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Who'da thunk it sts?

7. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

When the temps are 90+ and humidity is that high also using the air conditioner after working your a$$ off,clothes soaking wet, can you say phenomena. I would never have a vehicle without ac but never use it while working. It would make me sick as he!!. I see other people doing this, but makes no sense to me because you are going to have to get back in the heat anyway, why risk your health.

8. guntruck

guntruck LawnSite Senior Member

Our old work trucks never had a/c and they were all equiped with fans. It wasnt cold air but i dont know if i would have made it without that lil sucker. I reckon the moving air even if not cold helps to reduce the temps.

9. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

I bought a fan for my old dump truck and that was probably one of the best small investments I made. It hung from the rear view mirror and it osculated back and forth for driver and passenger comfort. :)

10. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

it is all according to what you get used to. my personal vehicles all have air but my main work vehicle does not. I never use the air if I am working. ...ever.

its' kind of like DAVE MARCUS, NASCAR'S #71 driver after one of the hottest races of the year. he's 60 years old and was laughing at all the young drivers laying around the pits puking their guts out from the heat as he was helping his crew load the car in the hauler!