1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hot Pants in Wisconsin

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MOW ED, May 26, 2004.

1. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

2. GrassFearsMe

GrassFearsMe LawnSite Senior Member

I am just getting into my local department and was wondering how being in the department and working is "working out for you"
  3. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

We had a child ran over by a lawn mower last week. That 4 year old was lucky mom didn't have the blades running. She was trying to turn around in the back yard. The kid ran out and got ran over. This same kid a week ago put the car in neutral and the car rolled acrossed the street into a parked car.

Grassfearme, make sure you dept. has plently of truck and trailer parking space. We have 5 members with landscaping business. One day we had 6 trucks and 5 trailers. (one guy had his crew follow him to the fire house) Its great in volly dept. You don't have a boss to tell you that you can't go to a fire. At least two of us are on calls during the day. Some how somebody is on the road to the next job when the call comes in. Other wise you can forget making a piece. Takes to long to load equipment and go.
  4. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I'm full time and the city doesn't allow us to have the trailers in the lots. As far as working out, you have to find the right mix of clients depending on your schedule. We work the California which is nice with 4 in a row off but the one on one off can get hairy if we get rain.
    Overall, you will do fine if you start slow and then build up your customer base. Some mornings are tough after chasing old people to the hospitals all night but there is nothing that strong coffee doesn't help. Good Luck.