Hot rodding your program

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Victor, Feb 8, 2008.

1. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

Does anyone else here hot rod their application program by applying fulvic acid?

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Victor: What?

3. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

If it's cheaper than fert :laugh: and it helps, I'd give it a whirl! Don't hold back...tell us more:confused:

4. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

Fulvic acid.... I think that's what I would name what my female canine leaves on the lawn after a short squat. That, and nitro burn.

5. Victor

:laugh: You guys know how long-winded I get. One of the benefits to incorporating fulvic acid in your app program, is that it enhances the uptake of other nutrients you apply to your lawns.

I can give you the long version if you'd like, but if you ask for the long-version, don't say you weren't warned. :laugh:

6. Victor

Not only does fulvic acid improve the uptake of nutrients (that's because it increases the permeability of plant membranes), it also increases the drought tolerance of your lawns. In addition to those benefits, it also increases root formation and root respiration. It basically hot rods your program.

I did pretty well. Only 4 lines. :)

7. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Yeah. Around here they call that SNAKE OIL.

Lol. J/K.

8. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

ok how much u usin and where u gettin it?

9. PHS

PHS LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Vic, Are there any legitimate studies on it's effectiveness? I'm open to new treatments but as we're all aware the green industry, the vitamin aisle's, and every other marketplace is absolutely flooded with miracle cures these days so I tend to wait for some solid info before jumping onto bandwagons.

10. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

Here is a good explanation on humates, humic acids, fluvic acids. Nothing new about the fact that they provide results.

by Gary Zimmer Organic matter, compost, humus, humates, humic acid and fulvic acid are all related to, and are parts of, decaying plant materials. These organic materials are food for soil life and a storehouse for minerals, energy and water. They also serve as mediums on which certain organisms can grow. Research is proving what farmers have long known to be true: humic substances stimulate plant roots and soil life (mostly fungal populations), chelate minerals (holding them for future use by plants), improve absorption of minerals for root and plant use, and improve the effectiveness of herbicides. This article will explain the different humic products available and how they presently are being used, while Lawrence Mayhew’s detailed review of the current scientific literature on the subject is available
    in “Humic Substances in Biological Agriculture” (Acres U.S.A., Jan-Feb 2004)

Humate is a common term used to describe dry-mined carbonaceous materials found in areas where coal is mined.
    They are correctly called leonardites or oxidized lignites. For many years the most commonly used humic product was a
    black liquid extract called humic acid, obtained by mixing a strong base liquid material such as sodium hydroxide, or
    more commonly potassium hydroxide, with a dry humate material. The black humic acid material (not really an acid —
    the base extraction has a pH of 9-plus), usually a 6- or 12-percent solution, was most commonly mixed with fertilizers,
    mixed with liquid nitrogen sources for use in transplant solutions, or mixed with herbicides. Its high pH meant that it could
    cause the liquid mix to jell or precipitate out, thus careful mixing was required. Mixing it with phosphorus materials was
    a real problem in many situations. Besides its use in transplant solutions (where it is highly diluted and doesn’t cause many problems), my favorite way to use humic acid is to mix it with liquid nitrogen sources. It provides an organic material for the nitrogen to hook to, therefore reducing leaching and loss of nitrogen and buffering the solution for more effective
    and efficient use. My observations indicate that a rate of one to three gallons per acre, depending on nitrogen needs
    (which can be reduced with humic acid use), seems to work best. Fulvic acid, another extraction from dry humates, is truly an acid. It is an acid extraction and has a pH near 3. It can be mixed with any liquid compound without difficulty. It is a part of the original material, but quite different from humic acid. My favorite place to use it is in liquid fertilizer mixes, where it buffers the soluble fertilizer, chelates it, and improves its uptake by the plants. Another common use for fulvic acid is to mix it with herbicides. Besides acidifying the tank mix, which helps the effectiveness of the herbicide, it again also chelates and improves the intake of the chemical. Application rates are from one quart to one gallon per acre, depending on the crop and on the amount and type of fertilizer and chemicals used.

If humic acid is extracted with a base, and fulvic acid extracted with acid, that which remains of the original humate is a
    large molecule called humin, with a sponge-like ability to hold and absorb substances. My philosophy in agriculture is to use the whole compound wherever possible, not just parts or pieces. Sometimes the parts we leave behind have some real benefits — for example, the calcium, trace elements and rare earths remaining when the fertilizer industry extracts phosphorus from rock phosphates. The same is true for the minerals, vitamins, hormones and other unknown compounds left behind when cytokinins are extracted from kelp. Wherever possible, why not use the whole? As for humic substances — in the last few years micronized compounds with added suspending agents have been showing up in the marketplace. This is the original humic material ground really fine. This material can be used anywhere that humic and fulvic acids are used.