1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Hot spots on the house

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by pete scalia, Feb 10, 2008.

1. pete scalia

pete scalia LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know about you guys but I'm getting tired of looking at all these front yard elevations that have so called "architectural lighting" or in other words lights pointed straight up on flat wall surfaces in between windows that looks so unnatural and contrived. Especially you guys in the south. There are always hot spots at the lower wall too. I don't care what lenses you use it's all bad. I'm calling for a prohibition of this ugliness. Please support my moratorium. Thank you.

This has been a public service message for concerned citizens against ugly "architectural lighting".

2. Mike M

Mike M LawnSite Bronze Member
    from usa

I'll be taking some funny pics this week, I promise--you'll be amused. I'm working on my PowerPoint to campaign against stupid ideas/bad lighting.

Anyone interested in sharing samples of bad lighting, pm me and get on an e-mail thing, or, just post here on a special thread for it. No "propriety" crap, post it for sharing, and I'll post mine. I also started a yahoo group for LED crazies like myself.

Pete you always have good images of good fixtures gone bad, let me know if we can use those, too.

3. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

Believe it or not, I actually agree with you Pete.

Exactly who are these people who actually want the entire exterior of their home to be washed in light anyways?

The more 'architectural lighting' that I see displayed here the more I shake my head and think that it all looks the same. Sort of like driving through a new sub-division and seeing all of those soffit mounted pot lights that the builders are selling as upgrades.

What ever happened to being discreet, soft, and ethereal?

4. pete scalia

Absolutely James, couldn't agree more. Let's ban the practice.

5. Eden Lights

Eden Lights LawnSite Senior Member

Ok, you have my attention, show us some good lighting Pete? Pics Please? If we didn't uplight the facade of homes, we wouldn't be in business very long here in the south. Within that defention of uplighting you will see all different kind of styles from various designers. I can ride around and just about call out who did what just by the style of facade uplighting.

6. Eden Lights

Same to you James, I am waiting for a pictorial education from you guys?

7. Eden Lights

80% of our work

Eden Lights 110.jpg

8. Eden Lights

20% of our work

Eden Lights 122.jpg

9. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

Visit my website. There you will fine some photos of architectural lighting that I designed and installed.

My beef is that all of the ground mounted uplighting of structures looks the same after a while. It generally does not do a very good or stand out job of highlighting the subtle nuances of the structure.

By mounting your lights onto the building, finding unique features, and generally working MUCH harder at being unique with the application of light on structures, you can stand apart from the crowd.

Regards.

10. pete scalia

First photo= Bunch of hot spots on a building
    second photo depicts soft effective garden lighting

Maybe you should focus 80% of your business on what you are only doing 20% of the time right now. Just a thought.