Hot starting

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by letgomyeggo16262, Jul 15, 2002.

1. letgomyeggo16262

letgomyeggo16262 LawnSite Member
    from 5

Hi,
    I have an OLD 60" turf tracer hydro. I have an intermittent problem with starting on hot days. It has a 22 hp Kohler replacement engine, but did the same thing with the original 20 hp Kohler.
    Here's a description. On hot days. Morning start up, no problem. Mow three or four lawns starting no problem. Go to start mower after it is good and hot. Problem. I turn the key and here a single click that I have traced to a conjunction on the driver's left side of the mower. It has the positive from the battery cable going to it and the hot wire going to the starter. Sometimes if I keep on trying,after several of the single attempts and subsequent clicks it will sometimes start. It seems like the current is never making it to the starter? If it doesn't start after some of those attempts, it will start no problem when it has cooled.
    I have checked all of the battery connections and checked for corrosion. The battery is less than 2 weeks old. The problem was there before the new battery as well.
    Any ideas?

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

letgomyeggo16262,

Here are my suggestions. We probably need to get that unit to your Exmark Dealer and get the Kohler rep for that area involved. If your are wanting to fix it yourself, I know a couple of things that you can look at.

First of all you could try changing out the key switch (PN 1-543070) and or the start solenoid (PN 1-513075). These can cause your issues for the fact that they may be weathered or about worn-out.

One thing that you need to determine what is the clicking that you described. Determine if the clicking is just your solenoid or if it is your starter kicking in. If the starter is kicking-in it can be many things This is the point that your dealer and Kohler Rep involved.

Now if you are a die hard wrench like me and still would like to fix it yourself call me so I can walk you threw the techy stuff. 402-223-6270

Thanks, Fred.

3. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

Now that's some great customer care, eh?! I thought it was a great idea when you guys (eXmark) opened a forum here in Lawnsite......it is very helpful and also very informative! And all KINDS of other stuff!

But obviously that alone isn't enough, because in the few times I have looked at the other "Manufacturer Sponsored Forums" They seem to take MUCH longer to reply and their replies/answers don't even compare the ones you guys give!

Sorry, I've been wanting to tell ya that.

4. letgomyeggo16262

letgomyeggo16262 LawnSite Member
    from 5

Fred,

I want to thank you for the prompt and accurate reply. I installed both parts on the mower and the problem has disappeared. Your professionalism here on the forum and on the phone is greatly appreciated. Not only do you guys make an awesome product, you stand behind it as well. I will be in the market for another 60" walk behind in the next couple of years. I will also be in the market for a 32" walk behind very, very soon. Rest assured, they will both be red.

Paul