Hot stop the press!!! A new era of lawn mower transmission

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Green Quality, Dec 28, 2005.

1. Green Quality

Green Quality LawnSite Member

Checkout this web site " scroll down the page, and look for (Torotrak) IT"s not a new idea!but different. find out how does it work.This very well could change the industry as we know it! this will be in proudution in 2006 by Modern tool&die/torotrakit is called (Infintrak)
  2. Green Quality

This transmission run's straight to the the engine,using no gear ratio!saves 30% more gas.This will be put on Zero turns,compact tractors.lawn& garden tractors,and trucks and car.
  3. Green Quality

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Whoa there big boy. There is no mention of any percentages of fuel economy increases in any OPE in that article.

Additionally, the large increases in fuel economy have been attributed to the use of hybrid power coupled with the new tranny.

At the bottom of the article it say that the fuel savings is 20% over a 4 speed auto tranny and 10% over a 6 speed auto tranny. There is no mention of improvements over a standard (gear) tranny.

I suspect that MTD's interest in the tranny has more to do with it's infinately variable drive then it's potential for fuel savings in lawn mowers.

Don't get me wrong here. I am all for increasing fuel economy in everything and this tranny has potential but don't over-inflate the numbers or take them out of context to make this tranny look better than it is.
  5. Green Quality

whoa! there wilbert,show me where i said anything about 30% on OPE. and you left out the hybird gas saving on a ivt of must be a hard person to work for ,if you can't follow the subject when reading.
  6. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

Honda has had this technoligy in the Civic HX since the mid 1990s.
  7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Do you know what infer means?;_ylt=AnKu8lPEOs1y2DaSDCIbWt2ugMMF?id=I0127600

We're on Lawnsite. We're in the Commercial Mowing Forum. You used words like "Zero turns,compact tractors.lawn& garden tractors" and the phrase "change the industry". Which industry were you talking about? If you were only talking about cars and trucks why did you post this in the mowing forum? Just what effect will this miracle tranny have on mowing?
  8. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

If I had to guess, it was a lack of reading the article on HIS part...

The Transmission was created by a company called "Torotrac"

That has NOTHING at all to do with TORO, the outdoor power equipment maker.
  9. indy2tall

indy2tall LawnSite Senior Member

I am with Richard on this, what else could you have meant when you said saves 30% more gas?
  10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Everybody needs to slow down and read a little better...

Torotrak, the UK developer of a fuel-efficient toroidal “infinitely variable transmission” (IVT), has formed a 50–50 joint venture with MTD Holdings Inc to apply technology to the Outdoor Power Equipment (OPE) market.

The outdoor power deal. Under the terms of the joint venture, Torotrak will vest in Infinitrak exclusive global rights to IVT technology in the 0-25kw power range, and exclusive North American rights in the 25-45kW power range for certain products.

Infinitrak expects to commence manufacture of IVT units in 2006. Production in the first full year of manufacture is expected to exceed 100,000 units. The OPE Market includes annual sales of more than 2 million powered ride-on products in the United States alone.

The real question is... what are the 'likely' applications for this?

MTD will surely put it on a lot of things I bet.
    I doubt we'll see them on zero turn riders though...