Hot Texas Heat

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RhettMan, Apr 19, 2008.

1. RhettMan

RhettMan LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

whats the best method to keep lawns growing in the summer in texas when its 100 degrees and the grass has a slight crunch to it. What seed should i use, are there any tricks to keep lawns from burning.

2. Paulup

Paulup LawnSite Senior Member

water them. Don't do it lightly every day, but saturate them during the weeks without rain. If you're asking about fertilizer, I'd drop down a couple of forums.

3. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Irrigation. I would think Beaumont get's adequate rain compared to the rest of Texas. With water restrictions in place in much of the country the irrigation industy is taking some hits I'm sure.

4. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Hey, have you guys recovered fully from the drought of 07. We were hit hard but have more than recovered. It's either too much rain or not enough. I know we were hit very hard and Ga and Alabama seemed to get hit even harder.

5. RhettMan

RhettMan LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

actually im not from beaumont right now i should probably change that, im from college station a town about 150 miles farther west (away from the coast). I read in a scotts "southern lawns" book that a saturation every 5 days was better than a light watering everyday. Have any of you guys had trouble getting clients to water ( im just starting out)

6. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I have had a few that didn't want to water. A couple of those were hopeless and I dropped them, the others finally saw the light. Bottom line, if they don't water means they don't care. I don't want those people as customers.

7. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

Rhettman it depends on your soil type, but the rule of thumb is longer watering=deeper root systems. Keep in mind those books are written for the "homeowner" and not the pro. There's always exceptions. BOL

8. Ronniecoleman

Ronniecoleman LawnSite Member

Hey Rhettman, nice to see another person from college station. A good watering program of every four to five days is what our grass needs. If you have any specific questions let me know.

Mark
    Class of 04 tamu in hort.

9. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Many golf courses in hot areas, such as Palm Springs where it may be 110 degrees, syringe the turf on hot days. Syringing is where you water the grass just long enough, less than a minute, to cool it down on these particular hot days. It helps to reduce the stress that the grass goes through. However, if a lawn is crunchy and dry, it sounds as if there is a larger irrigation issue.

10. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

On our clay soils here in Texas, water 1/2" each day on consecutive days. During the blazing heat, you may have to add an additional day.

It's always better to water deeply to promote deep rooting. Light waterings are a waste of time and money, and promote stress and disease.

Use TAMU's web site for valuable information, and you'll also find your county extension service a very valuable resource.