hot to get bent grass out of lawn

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by joshua, May 15, 2001.

1. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

ok guys i have a lawn that looks great all kentucky blue except bent grass decided to move in from the neightbors house and is starting to spread out like wild fire, and i don't want this to happen, how do i get it out of the lawn without digging? i was reading that urea will burn it out do to the high nitrogen, is this true??? i need help fast

2. Twotoros

Twotoros LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like my front yard . I have also run into this problem on some lawns . I ditto the question. Any answers????

3. luckylawnboy

luckylawnboy LawnSite Senior Member

Round-up is your only means unless you dig it out. And you better kill the neibors yard as well or it will come back. Good luck, but seriously it may even take a couple treatments to get the job done.

4. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

To get rid of it completely, only recourse is Roundup and reseed. However, since bent is already in the area, it will come back and you will have to do this whole process again within 2-5 years. Chances are that it is not just the neighbor next door, but the whole area has some bentgrass.

I have been managing this same problem in a lawn for the last 7 years by early spring power-raking. Power-rake is with vertical flail type machine. Doubt that spring types would do the job. By aggressively powerraking, you pull up much of the fall growth of the bentgrass. Most weed bent is creeping bent, which is stoloniferous (above ground runners), and you will pull up a lot of bent. This will thin the turf, but bluegrass begins active growth earlier in the spring than bentgrass, and fill-in initially will be bluegrasses. If you have any areas that are solid bentgrass, kill these off and sod, that is how I started my property. When you powerrake, if you produce grossly bare spots, these were heavy with bent, and you may want to sod then or kill off and sod these spots next fall. With the powerrake management, I have not had bent take over any new areas in this lawn. But you will have to accept that the bent will stay, it will just not be as obvious to the casual glance. It is usually easiest to work with what nature provides than to force what you think you want.

5. GroundKprs

PS- I have seen an August application of 2,4-D wipe out bentgrass patches in a lawn. Many broadleaf weed control products warn to use product at only one half regular rate if treating bentgrass. But you would have to experiment with this on your own. There are a lot of variables: temps, humidity, day length, etc. These could all affect your results. Regular full app of 2,4-D will usually just stunt the bentgrass.

6. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

what is bentgrass got a close up shot of it??..dont think we have it down here in Tampa.

7. GroundKprs

Chad, bentgrass is a cool season turf type. Used on many northern golf courses.

8. Twotoros

Twotoros LawnSite Senior Member

I always thought it was a warm season grass. It always starts out on the brown side then when it gets hot spreads like mad. I see a lot of it up here and makes an otherwise nice lawn look bad depending how much there is. Wish it didn't exsist.

9. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Groundskeeper-you are right about an august app of 2,4-D.It will wipe out most of the bent.When I use it on bent,I spot it,nad go real light,and still get a lot of injury sometimes.I agree hit it in the heat,when its already under a lot of stress,the kentucky might turn yellow,but it will survive-the bent will be wiped out if your apllication is strong enough.

10. GroundKprs

The real problem with bentgrass in a bluegrass lawn is that the bent will grow up on top of the rest of the turf. When you mow, especially in the summer months, the heavy bentgrass areas are brown after mowing, because all the bentgrass leaves have been cut off. Within a few days they green up again, but will be brown after next mowing.

When this happens, take a small walk behind, a 21" even, and mow the browned areas 1/2" to 3/4" shorter than your current mowing height. This will not look too nice when done, but by next mowing, leaves will regrow and you will not be cutting all the leaf off the bent, so your brown spots are gone for a few weeks. I have actually only had to do this once a season in the lawns where bent is a problem.