Hot tub construction

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Captains Landscape, Sep 16, 2007.

1. Captains Landscape

Captains Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I've had this on my mind for a while. Has anyone ever built a in-ground spa? I don't know if you would use concrete forms, gunite, precast, or even stone. I've heard of it, has anyone done it?

2. razor1

razor1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I knew a guy who built a cement fish pond, but it developed a slow leak. Very hard to repair. Maybe check with some of the pool/pond guys.

3. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm thinking it would be like a mini pool. A pool is confidently put in-ground without leaks, why can't you just scale it down?

I'd say gunite with a natural stone facing would look outstanding.

4. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Only proablem is, if you want to use them all year long, you need to run them all year long to keep the water in the lines an tub from freezeing. A gunite spot by itself would cost a minimum of 15-20k. It would have a filter/pump similar to a pool. You could buy a fiberglass built in unit. But again you need to keep the water from freezing.

5. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

I've always thought it would be cool to do something completely with natural stone.

Of course, I have no idea how the the hell it would be done. Would you have to use a liner like you would with a pond? Then of course there is the pump and getting jets through the stone and keeping things sealed.... again, I don't know anything about it, but it sure would be neat.

6. Captains Landscape

Captains Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

7. bigviclbi

bigviclbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

Get a fibergalss unit that sits in the ground halfway then build walls around it and add coping.

8. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

You will still have proablems with it during the winter.

9. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

10. bigviclbi

bigviclbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

i don't understand what problems do you have with it? Ice?