Hot Tub Ideas

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by olderthandirt, Jul 22, 2006.

1. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I can't stand the looks of the square bubble tubs and its hard to disguse them especially when there sitting on a deck so I need some suggestions. I'm gonna place one at the bottom of a deck thats approxapatly 8' high so I will need a water falls and creek/run from the top of the deck down to the tub. I was thinking about sinking it in the ground incased in a cement container [ would love to hollow out a large boulder and drop it in the middle but thats never gonna happen] I want to use the water falls and stream as the focal point and to hide the tub and the hot tub just for the enjoyment. My question is would I be better off buying some of the parts and making my own tub IE the pumps etc and just purchase a mold with the jets or should I just buy the unit and sink it into the ground. Or scrap the whole idea and build a complete tub out of concrete and tile the outside and do my own plumbing etc. The later would take the longest and be the most expensive but I could hide it the easiest and customize the shape and size.
    Anyone ever built one? or have some suggestions

2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

there is hardly a goodway to hide those square tubs. the most ingenuitive I've seen was one that was recessed into a deck but they had built trap doors all around it so they could maintain it if necessary.

Putting a top on it will be difficult if you have a waterfall coming in. Getting a proper seal might be tricky, although i'm sure there are some silicone or similar sealants you could use. you might have to make some custom mold with expanding foam to fit inside the falls to seal out mice, weather, and keep the water temp up.

3. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Would it be possible to have some very large boulders brought in with a crane truck and set around the tub? Most tubs I know of have all their guts enclosed in the surround and you need acsess to the controls ect. That is my suggestion..set it on a foundation on the ground and hide it with big moss boulders, stick some potted plants in the gaps between the top of the boulders and the tub surround.
    Take some pics of the area and lets have a look at what you have to work with.

4. davevg

davevg LawnSite Member

I'm not sure if they will sell to you directly (I am a co-owner of a local pool/spa company), but Viking pools has some spa forms and spillways which are irregularly shaped. You may get some more ideas from the pictures on their site http://www.vikingpools.net/designs_spas.htm

5. olderthandirt

from here

She, its really hard to get the size boulders I would want and I think it would be easier to build the tub into a concrete structure, a cement hole is the easiest way to describe what I'm thinking of. I can put the pumps and all the plumbing in the "pit" and build or buy a form like the ones that daveg supplied a link to and the tub would fit in the middle and I would have the Guts covered with a wood decking. In essence it would be a tub buried in the ground as far as looks go. The water falls would not empty into the tub but would be a focal point to draw the eye away from the spa.
    What I want is the look of a built in pool but instead of a pool I want it to be a hot tub.

6. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Why? They don't pour concrete under those pools they just set them in on compacted soil.
    The boulders were just a suggestion. I still don't see any need for a concrete "Hole" to do this..but hey,,it's your money baby.

7. olderthandirt

from here

The hole and concrete was for the pumps and plumbing I don't want them sitting besides a tub thats buried in the ground, kinds defeats the purpose of "bulding in" the tub

8. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

Mac,
    You could place the tub on compacted soil and give it the built in look with pavers around it, Just place the tub at a higher elevation than where you would like to place the pumps, pumps can be located anywhere you want to put them as long as you have the pvc pipe to plumb it. I have an above ground pool and my pump, filter& heater are located over 75 foot away in the back corner of my garage, the pipes go from the filter to the roof of the garage and pass thru the solar panels on the roof then go back under ground to the pool. Hard to discribe but it works great, I use the gas heater to maintain the pool temp at night and solar to heat during the day.
    My hot tub suround is getting in pretty bad shape and I have been considering doing something similar with mine. building a deck around it really caused problems. between the dogs and kids I have had to replace 2 covers.

9. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

on hgtv about 6mt ago there was a landscape show with the homowners wanting somthing like that going into a pool. long story short they could not do it due to heath regs. what they ended up doing is have the stream stop under a bridge and start the pool under the bridge to make it look like it was all one natural stream with a swimming hole.