Hot tub patio?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by GroundScapesIncorporated, Feb 19, 2007.

1. GroundScapesIncorporated

GroundScapesIncorporated LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

I have to look at a job on Monday next week, where the client wants a hot tub installed off a existing wooden deck. The deck is approx 3' tall. Anybody got suggestions/pictures of interesting ways to do hot tub patios.

2. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you know if they want the hot tub inset into the patio or free standing?

3. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

Doesn't sound like too big of a deal to me. Just make sure you don't cover up the access door on it.

4. GroundScapesIncorporated

from VA

They are soley depending on my recomendation. They are good customers of mine, and trust me to come up with the best ideas possible.

Im kind of leaning towards maybe 50% level with top of the tub.

5. GroundScapesIncorporated

from VA

I didnt realize I made any thing sound like a big deal?

6. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

Wish I had some pictures to show you, but I don't. I've seen two different ones installed "inground" per se, but I don't have pics of either one.

Personally I prefer the 'inground' look for a hot tub, it's easier to make it look like an integrated part of the landscape. Unless you are installing pools/hot tubs right now, chances are you should contact a pool/spa installer and get them involved. They should have some pics that you could use to sell the job.

The 'inground' spas will need to have the mechanicals (pump, filter, heater, etc.) placed away from the spa unit itself. That will add cost, but it will be a benefit due to reduced noise at the spa. Nothing more annoying than hearing the pump running over the sound of bubbles!

HTH.

7. GroundScapesIncorporated

from VA

Thanks felix, no Im not a spa installer, but an installer is already involved.

The job wont be any problem, Ive already got some pretty good ideas.
    You just never know when someone here may open your eyes up to a new idea.

8. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Here's some ideas for you:

http://www.paddockpoolsandspas.com/spas/spa_gallery.html

I assume they're doing a basic acrylic spa? I agree w/ D Felix that something totally inground looks the best, but that's easily double the cost of an acrylic so it's a hard sell for most homeowners. I've only been involved in three gunnite spas/ spools- by the time they see the price tag, they just spring for the pool!

9. leaflandscape

leaflandscape LawnSite Member

What kind of cover do they want, because different ones need different clearances?

10. STONE SCAPES

STONE SCAPES LawnSite Member

is the hot tub going up against the deck. if it is you could make your access under the deck. and build the patio around it. just an idea.