hot weather and nutsedge

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by SimonCX, Jul 15, 2011.

1. gqnine44

gqnine44 LawnSite Senior Member

unless i missed it Solitare doesnt mention heat except when it talks about surfactants. its says not to use sufactants because they can cause discoloration of mention of temp restrictions on the solitare alone. anyone had problems with solitare in the heat?
  2. kipcom

kipcom LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

Honestly..... you never want to apply any chemical that you do not understand how it works. 1st educate yourself on the product and then educate your customer on the product. This is best for achieving the customers expectations.. the more they understand the better you look to them as the service provider.

Basic rule::: never apply a chemical when conditions are 1) Dry(non irrigated / no rainfall expected for 3 + days 2) Heat above 85 deg.
    3) Applicator is unsure of the product use.

Perception is one of the best tools you can use and its FREE !
  3. GrandMaster

GrandMaster LawnSite Member
    from Utah

We love using gly on blue grass when its 95 plus F. It works so well p.s be sure to add li700 also 4 pints per acre.:dizzy:
  4. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

If I had to wait for temps below 85 we couldn't spray from March-Nov. :laugh:
  5. Young Bros

Young Bros LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah it's a different world down there. Up North we try & stop spraying around 85 so we don't hurt our Northern grasses.
  6. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

i had that in few yards last year. I used sedgehammer, but it did not do anything. Expensive as hell too. I think i paid $20 for one oz or something like that. I was very, very dissapointed.

this year it's back again and i am just wondering what to apply. Can't do roundup since it's now in the grass area as well.

I hate this weed. More so than crabgrass, since i can't control it.

7. R & R Yard Designs

R & R Yard Designs LawnSite Senior Member

Put round up on a sponge and wipe in on the sedge
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

Sedgehammer works very well...(with a non ionic surfactant) you got to hit the sedge at the right time... right at about 2-3 buds on it, even then you'll have to go back a couple of times. Once it grows too mature you are throwing your money away. Mow it down & when it starts budding again, then hit it.

By the way, carefully reading the label helps, and looking up nutsedge at you local extension web site will teach you the characteristics of this pervasive weed so you can better understand how to control it.

As far as turf applications are concerned, I would avoid treatments when it's much over 85 degrees or likely to be in the next day or so. This will be an area of contention here. I only spray Celsius when it's above 85, but it won't help you for sedge.

I'd actually like to know what to use on wild onion & wild garlic.
  9. maynardGkeynes

maynardGkeynes LawnSite Senior Member

Correct. Or a brush. Goodbye sedge.
  10. Young Bros

Young Bros LawnSite Senior Member

How many customers do you guys have that you have time to brush or sponge all of your nutsedge?