hot weather and nutsedge

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by SimonCX, Jul 15, 2011.

1. maynardGkeynes

maynardGkeynes LawnSite Senior Member

Good point with a large stand...best thing would be to prevent it in the first place. Does sedgehammer kill it with one application though? Once the rhizomes are established, you have real problems even with roundup.

2. JDiepstra

JDiepstra LawnSite Bronze Member

If youre getting paid well enough you can make time for anything. Some people also have these things called employees who can also do things....
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. gqnine44

gqnine44 LawnSite Senior Member

Roundup is not the best choice for Sedge even growing in the beds. It kills it but it comes back. If Im going to waste time brushing it I would use a product that will kill it better.

4. maynardGkeynes

maynardGkeynes LawnSite Senior Member

Which is better? Once it is established, it may take 3 applications of almost anything from what I hear.

5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Sedgehammer worked OK for me last year. I always included a surfactant. Spot spray only. As the label says, "Do not mow for 48 hours before and 48 hours after application."

It is easier to spot the clumps if you treat early in the morning. With the sun in front of you it stands out like bright green lights. Early in season is better, before it gets mature. Calibrate your spot sprayer with water prior to beginning. Difficult to measure the product--low rate in a hand sprayer. What is the best way to measure the dosage?

I had a customer that sprayed it with Roundup. Nutsedge came back--grass didn't.

Has anybody injured grass with Sedgehammer? What species?

6. Lost Pine

Lost Pine LawnSite Member

Works great....problem is if you have large properties, it is very labor intensive....

7. Lost Pine

Lost Pine LawnSite Member

I have had some slight yellowing of the surrounding lawn which was fescue, but it came back green in a week or two.....