1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

hot weather help

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by whtrash73, May 29, 2006.

1. whtrash73

whtrash73 LawnSite Member

anybody got any good tips for beating the heat? my old 51 year old arsh is hanging in there with lots of water,wet towels and sunscreen.its been 92 degrees lately in north alabama.thanks yall for any stay cool advise! whtrash73:drinkup:
  2. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

We use a product called Emer'gen-c you mix it with a glass of water just minerals and vitamins no caffeine or sugars help your body function to the best of it's ability. Stay away from caffine and ephedrin products, no beer after work during the work week, hydrate of an evening with water or gatoraid, once you are thirsty its too late you are already dehydrated. Carbs at night, fruit in the morning, high protein during the day if you can eat anything in the heat. Long sleeves and pants, light weight and light colored. stay cool :walking:
  3. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

AZ, that emergen-c, is it good stuff? I've been trying to find something like that, basicly a multi that you put in your water. I used to drink a couple propel's a day (the "fitness water") and I could tell I would have better stamina those days and not be as beat at the end of the day. But at a buck something a bottle it gets pricey.

In the really sunny days I found a hat that will shade your neck/face (like a brim that goes all the way around) helps alot, it keeps you cooler and keeps the sun off you. I never wear sleeveless shirts in the extreme sun. I wore a sleeveless shirt one time way back and was out in the heat for 7 straight hours at a cemetary, I ended up getting very sick from all the sun. Of course wear light color clothes, try to get shirts that breathe too. I try to stay away from a/c in the truck, getting in and out of the cold will mess you up too, your body doesn't know what's going on basicly. A good rule of thumb is an ounce of water for every 2lbs that you weigh, I automaticly drink a gallon a day even if I don't work, so I drink close to 2 gallons on a work day. Potassium is a biggie, you need potassium for the heat, I forget what it does but I've always been told and read that potassium is needed, if you look at sports drinks, there's a ton of potassium in them.
  4. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

What? Just shoot me and get it over with:laugh:
  5. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Yes the Emer'gen-c is good stuff. Charles I don't know what to say, its the life we have chosen.
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I know this hurts the budget and it infringes on your time, but the heat is one thing I am careful with because when it gets up there it is dangerous.

Here's how I do it, three ways:
    - Start real early in the morning and bust out stuff as fast you can, then cut out around 11a but no later than noon and you're done brother, go home.
    - Start at 2pm because 2p is as hot as it gets, once 2p is past it starts to cool off, work until dark or until the work is done.

Starting in the morning may sound like the better choice but be aware that it is coolest when you're fresh and ready and as you wear out the heat comes in and it's a double-whammy, you will feel like you're walking up a hill all day.
    Starting in the pm it is HOT at first but you're fresh and as you start to wear down so do the temps... It's not quite as cool as in the morning but by 3p the worst of the heat is gone and 3 yards later it's 5p and half decent.

Oh yeah, the third way:
    The only other thing I have done is to go home and stay inside from 11a - 2p but this breaks the day thou I will do this when I'm overloaded with work.

I will NOT work from 11a - 2p when it's really hot, no way, no how, I don't care my life is worth more to me... I'm solo so if I break down from heat exhaustion I could be done, well done.

Always look for shade to park in even if I have to walk a little further, shade for the truck is worth cash money so to speak, it makes a BIG difference. Also for 15-20 dollars you can get an aftermarket 12v fan for the interior of the truck - Open the windows and turn on the fan while working, it keeps the edge off and helps keep the seats from getting boiling hot. Some installation required, it's a dashboard fan and spend the money to get a decent one that puts out some AIR, leave it running on high while you're working. Oh yeah, a 1,000 cca battery under the hood is a fair requirement, but at least 900+ cca's.
  7. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Emergen-C is awesome. Get the lemon lime flavor though, the other ones are gross.

You can get it in the health food department of most grocery stores.
  8. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I just went and bought some of that emergen-c, will give it a try tomorrow or maybe today, I'm thinking about going to get a few accounts done today to make it easier on me tomorrow.

Uh oh, I got the orange flavor, it was a choice of orange/rasberry/tangerine.
  9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Absolutely but I can't go without coffee, a minimum of one gallon of water / day thou, just keep drinking water with the attitude that if you don't have to pee, you're not drinking enough. Somedays, every 5-10 minutes I am hitting the water cooler but most of the time I keep a 20-ounce cup around and make sure I drink at least a quart / hour or 3x 20-ounce cups / 2 hours, so to speak.
    Gatorade is great, too.

And you are 100 percent right, you have to drink before it hurts you.
  10. SOMM

SOMM LawnSite Senior Member