Hotel on the Bay in Need of Info

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Dwaina4062, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Dwaina4062

Dwaina4062 LawnSite Member

We are a hotel located on the Bay in Mobile, AL. I have a question and need some direction. We have a section of our property that contains what appears to be a type of bamboo. It's not thick and together, but spread out. We want to get rid of it, but do not want to harm the soil or the environment and don't want it to come back.
    Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Thanks for your time and advice.

2. Williams Services

Williams Services LawnSite Senior Member

I applaud you for being careful with this. Is the bamboo in any kind of turf, or is it off in a bed, brush, etc?

3. Dwaina4062

Thank you for your reply. The bamboo is in a marshy area, but I believe the ground is wet due to the rain not being able to run of very fast. The area we are attempting to clear is (the best I can describe) a fence row. We want to clear an area several feet away from the crub/driveway, but leave the rest of the lot as is (if this makes sense). Basically the bamboo has been allowed to grow, out of control. After Hurricane Ivan, much of it is leaning. We want to clear this section and re-plant with Palm Trees, but there again, do not want to damage the rest of the lot or the eco-system, as we are only feet away from the Bay and Delta.

4. Williams Services

Williams Services LawnSite Senior Member

Dwaina, I hate to say it, but your best bet is to hire a licensed applicator. That's probably not what you wanted to hear, but by doing that, you're covered. A licensed pesticide (turf & ornamental) applicator is REQUIRED to carry a general liability policy, in the even that something goes wrong. They also have the knowledge and experience (ideally) to keep things from going wrong. Someone in your area should already know which chemicals are labelled for use near water and which ones are not. Personally, I would use a scythe+glyphosate combo, maybe with a little diquat in there. Not being near water most of the time, I haven't researched which ones are labelled for that. If you're having a landscaper put in the trees, they should be able to help you out.

5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Fellows

I have been watching this thread to see what might be recommend. It is a hard call because of the wet area. I think Williams has given good advice because of the wet area. I think a good applicator could look at this area and determine what may be the best way to go. Garlon 4 would do the job and maybe kill the fish in Mobile Bay also. Bamboo is a very prolific plant and can survive a lot. Just digging it up won't do the trick. It will come back.

6. Dwaina4062

Thanks for the help and advice.

7. A.T.A.K

A.T.A.K LawnSite Senior Member

I would recommend the company you hire to use Glyphomate 41. I would only add a wetting agent LI700. Any use of diquate will burn the foliage before the Glyphosate has a chance to translocate into the plant. When you are doing applications in or around aquatic areas, you need to take every precaution you can. One small mistake can bankrupt even the largest of companies. Therefore, I recommend you hire a local professional and not try this on your own. In my time, I have seen some large companies go under after dabbling in aquatic pest control.

8. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

This has been discussed before. The previous thread had a few other ideas.