Hotels

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by blublazes, Sep 4, 2005.

1. blublazes

blublazes LawnSite Member

Hey guys, I havent been on here in a long time. I think I am going to have the opportunity to bid on 3 hotels in my area. They are all owned by the same people, and the same guy takes care of all 3 yards. Apparently they arent happy with the guy that is servicing the properties now. Why? I dunno, I havent talked to anyone yet but I'm suppose to meet with a manager or someone this week. Anyway for those of you who do work for hotels, have they generally been a good account to have? Do you seem to get your money quickly? Understand that I have yet to talk to anyone about what all is going to be required, im sure the usual and some light landscape work, I just wanted to hear from some people who have experience with the hotel industry just to make sure I'm not getting myself into something I dont want. Thanks guys.
    Paul

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Hotels are one of the best kind of commercial properties because they usually want to keep things looking nice. We usually get bush trimming, irrigation, flowers, mulch, tree trimming, fertilizing, pest control etc etc.
    Many commercial properties have budget problems and they might delay payments but usually they pay within 90 days. And in our area we plant winter rye so we average 42 cuts per year.

3. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

if its the sunway hotel group (crown plaza, wingate inn, etc.) be careful. done some work for them 3 months ago and still waiting on $11,000 check! hotels can be real picky. use real detailed contract and charge a bit more than usual. most hotels are independently owned and operated so my experiences may not be typical, but checks usually come from corporate office and will probably be at least two months out. bill at beginning of month.
    im not saying dont do it... just be prepared.

PS. the pictures of the bentonville, AR, wingate inn on their website are pictures of a different wingate inn, so at least one hotel is giving out misleading info.

4. blublazes

blublazes LawnSite Member

The hotels are Hampton inn, Days inn, and Comfort Inn I belive part of the Hilton hotel group but im not sure.

5. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

I doubt they are part of the Hilton Chain. Normally those brands are privately owned and in todays world are more times than not owned family owned by Middle Eastern folks. If that is the case with yours, get EVERYTHING in writing and get paid in advance. I have one and they are okay to work with but come bill time they always try and put off paying it and are always a billing cycle behind in paying.

6. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

confort (sleep, clarion, quality, etc.) is part of choice group. hampton i think is hilton but not sure. not sure of other, either. guy might own franchises from different groups.

the new wingate here was one big nightmare for all the contractors. sounds like it was mainly local wingate people causing problems. hotel opening was delayed 3 months and still under construction when it opened. they started with cheapest bids and had to eventually replace those contractors with more expensive ones. we completed irrigation and hardscapes that another company started and screwed up.

i got the maint. contract but they cancelled after 1 month. we were already making 2 maint stops a week and i guess they wanted more stops for their flat monthly rate. have your contract say 12 month agreement required at a monthly rate of $x with x# of weekly visits during whatever months. list how often each service is to be completed and at what intervals. $x due for early termination unless you fail to make required # of visits. not just hotels, but banks and other high $$$ commercials can be a real PITA! plan on taking your time and bid accordingly. they usuually require a high insurance coverage that not many lcos have so their options for lcos is limited. also you'll have 3 different bills to submit and receive 3 different checks each month.

hope ive helped a bit.

good luck!

7. yrdandgardenhandyman

yrdandgardenhandyman LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Most of these are franchises that are usally owned by someone from Pakistan or India or Bangladesh. These are the cheapest people to work for and the hardest. Most of them don't want to be Americans. They want to become rich middle easterners who are living in the USA. They feel that the Americans should work as cheaply as they do in India, but that he should be allowed to rake in the bucks. In my experience, if you are low bidder, they will ask you to go lower.
    Just make sure you have a good strong contract in case they start trying to circumvent the contract in order to trim his lawn care expenditures even more.

8. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I worked for a person that owned those same hotels. She was really easy to get along with. I also did her own property along with her exhusbands. She always told me to do what ever was needed and bill her. I always got my check every month.

9. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

hotels are owned by individuals that buy into a franchise...
    the experience all depends on the individual that owns the place, and the local market you are in.

we have a few nice hotels here that are great to work with, but there are others that are a nightmare....

also whenever a place has all those problems in construction, stay away..... that tells you a lot abot the mentality of the owner/manager....