1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hotter than...well...really hot.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HighGrass, Jul 17, 2006.

1. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

Today was the first day that it's been really hot around here. I know some of you guys from the southern area may think not, but 100 is more than hot enough for me. I work solo, so around noon, I blew the flintstone whistle and took a three hour break until the mercury started to go back in the other direction. 83% humidity...it just wasn't worth it. Not good for the grass either I suspect.
  2. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

Same thing i did, i mowed until 1 and called it a day. They said tomorrow is going to be even worse(feel like 105) im gonna do a small mulch job in the morning and thats it. The grass is getting crispy with the heat anyways, ill just push some cuts to the end of the week when its cooler.
  3. Poncho25

Poncho25 LawnSite Senior Member

Well yeah, us here in the south have to deal with that alot more often then u guys. When its forcasted for a really hot an humid day, I get started earlier then normal, I am usally at my 1st house by 730am the latest, i finish at around 1030 or 11am and go home, sit in the pool for a few hours then start back up at around 3 and finish by 5.
  4. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

I had 2 pond jobs this morning, then went to the garage to work on my overheating Toyota. I put an AC unit in the window and put up a partition tarp. I ended up replacing all the shocks, the exhaust from the downpipe back, thermostat and coolant flush. $646 in parts. Just got finished @ midnight now.
  5. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hot in Chicago..High seventies, low eighties for low's a few nights,string of middle to upper nineties highs.Doesn't seem to perturb most of our workers though lol.
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Ahhhh yes, 104+, I love the bs-cutter days.

I've tried it several ways:
    - Start early in the morning and work until it's too hot. This one blew for me. Granted it's considerably cooler in the am but it's coolest when my body is fresh and as my body wears out it gets hotter and hotter and somedays by 10a I can't take it anymore. Weird, but I just feel like I'm walking uphill and it keeps getting steeper and steeper.

So, I get rolling at 2:30p and am usually at my first yard by 3p. If I can, I try and pick a shady yard to start with, then I do 2-3 more sometimes I get 4-5 done and by 6 or 7 I head back home. Now it's HOT when I get going but my body is fresh so the first hour is ok, and from then out I can work at the same pace throughout the afternoon because as I wear out, so do the temps.

Now if I get busier, then I'll do a stint in the am and break off from 11a - 2p I don't work!

Here's the secret: 2p is the magic time of it doesn't get any hotter! It may not cool off right away, but by 2p it is as hot as it is going to get. By 3p, the edge is gone and by 4-5p it's half decent again.

NEVER work in red hot temps, it's not worth it.
  7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I made sure everyone was back at the yard by 2:00 pm yesterday...just not worth it.
  8. ProLawns

ProLawns LawnSite Senior Member

My son and I worked until one and then took the jet ski out.:)
    When it's hot like this I spread my week out to have shorter days.
  9. Planet Landscaping

Planet Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

:weightlifter: We worked 14 hrs as usual:weightlifter: . Just keep em hydrated:walking: .
  10. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Daily hi temps normally max out in late afternoon...so that's a good time to stop...taking a long lunch break and heading out again around 2-3 o'clock just sticks you out in the worst of the heat.

Morning's are no better, the humidity bites :laugh: