Hottub on a paver patio

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by DoubleB, Mar 20, 2007.

1. DoubleB

DoubleB LawnSite Member
    from So.Dak.

Hey guys, going to be building a paver patio for a buddy of mine at his new home. The patio is about 615 sq ft with a 2% slope away from the house.

I guess my question is, with all of the patios I have built none of them have had a hottub sitting on it, do I need to do anything different with the base where the hottub will be sitting? The hottub is approx. 12'x12'. Either building the base in that particular spot deeper to maybe around 10" or using some type of concrete footing? Or should I be fine with a 6" base with fabric underneath?

He also suggested that he wants the area where the hottub is sitting to be perfectly level, I argued that I didnt think a 2% drop would be noticable enough to affect the hottub, who is right? He is a general contractor and is very particular about everything.

Also, I'm thinking it would probably be smart to seal the patio after were done due to all the water from the hottub.

Open for any suggestions. I know most of you probably have done something like this or something similar, any tips and/or instructions would be helpful.

Thanks guys.

2. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Hot tubs must be perfectly level. You can just circle out the area where the hot tub will be and do a 2% on all for sides (like a skirting). We do them for a pool company and this seems to work fine. Use inline drainage to deter water from creeping past the 10 X 10' or 12 X 12' area that you are considering the "pad".

3. DoubleB

DoubleB LawnSite Member
    from So.Dak.

So 6" base would be fine the under the hottub? What is the best way to go about skirting the base under the tub?

4. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

just a heads up chlorine tends to leave white residue on the pavers/ concrete from what I have noticed while working at properties where the above is present.

5. McKeeLand

McKeeLand LawnSite Senior Member

Just a thought with sealing the pavers around the hot tub is that sealed pavers tend to be slippier because they repel the water rather than absorb it. some paver sealers suggest sprinkling grit or sand while it is still wet to add traction.

as far as the base depth, i would go a little thicker to be safe. 6" is the minimum for walks and patios and going thicker can only help. i would check with the hot tube manufacturer to see what they recommend too.

6. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Do hot tubs have adjusters on them to raise the height?

7. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

6" is the specified aggregate for a driveway. We use 8" on hot tub applications. The chlorine will affect the effloresence and I would recommend sealing. We make the pitch with the aggregate itself. Use your transit and a tape measure for this. Use a polymeric sand, not organic.

8. McLandscaing

McLandscaing LawnSite Member

6" is the specified aggregate for a driveway.

I think using 6'' for a vehicular application is calling it a little short! I would hope you would be using twice that amount.

9. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

While I'm not totally up on ICPI specs, I believe 4" is the specified minimum for walks (at least it used to be, though more is better). Somewhere between 8-10" is the specified minimum for driveways, IIRC. But McL is right- more than 10" is preferred.

I personally think you will be fine with 6" of base under the patio, especially if it's the entire patio (not just where the hot tub will be sitting). Remember that the hot tub will be a static load, unlike a driveway with cars/trucks driving on it (dynamic load). Definately want fabric separating the gravel and sub-grade. If you can do 8", do it, just to be safe, but 6" should be fine IMHO.

As for grade under the spa it would probably be less headaches down the road if you level a spot for it, even if it can be leveled separately. Allowing water to flow in and underneath a spa can't be the best thing in the world...

10. DoubleB

DoubleB LawnSite Member
    from So.Dak.

My problem is that basically the whole patio has a 2% grade toward the hottub. So if I made the 12'x12' hottub section level I'm affaid of having alot of standing water during a heaving rain and eventually settling/sinking. So what kind of drainag would I have to install.