Houchins Landscaping and Lawn Care

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by jhouchins, Apr 17, 2011.

1. jhouchins

jhouchins LawnSite Member
    from East TN

Thanks. I definately worked on them on this last install.

2. bobcat48

bobcat48 LawnSite Gold Member

Looks very nice,nice job!

3. jhouchins

from East TN

I appreciate it.

Set seven 3 1/2'' caliper cherry trees today. Will post pics later. I am whooped. Gotta go to bed. Have a 20 yard mulch job in the morning.

4. jhouchins

from East TN

Finally got these big a$$ trees set. Still have to stake them in the morning. Lost daylight.

They are 3 kwanzan and 3 yoshino cherries.

P4210755.jpg

P4260845.jpg

5. flyingdutch16

flyingdutch16 LawnSite Senior Member

Nice work you really make those yards look better!

Just one piece of advice make the whole for the trees twice the size that they need to be and then add some potting mix to it. This way the tree will adjust quicker and grow much much quicker. Just my two cents.

Keep up the good work tho

6. jhouchins

from East TN

Yeah the first pic was a little decieving.

The first pic of the holes where not finished. Once I picked up the trees I had to dig almost twice as much dirt out from the first pic. I always dig at least twice as big. I add peat moss, a topsoil mix, and a little fert to the hole. This dirt was packed red clay so I made the holes very big.

7. flyingdutch16

flyingdutch16 LawnSite Senior Member

Oh okay that red clay gets tough to dig in.

In 2009 when i remodeld my back yard i forgot to make the wholes big enough for three trees. This is the first year that they are actually in blossom :)

Good luck with the rest of the season!

8. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

alot do edging on here but where i live noone has edging around their beds...there are always rocks, stones, pavers, bricks, or some type of metal or plastic edging around the beds...so you might could try to sell people on using a border of some type rather than edging all of the beds...it's up to you though lol...looks good man

9. jhouchins

from East TN

Yeah I put in about 120 plants and 7 trees and could not use one single scoop of dirt on the property. Worst dirt I have ever seen.

10. jhouchins

from East TN

I haven't seen to many types of edging I like. I like natural stone, flagstone, as a border. Only thing I dislike about edging is the washout when it rains.

Thanks