$$ /hour for leaves

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by liquidforcedude7, Nov 10, 2005.

1. liquidforcedude7

liquidforcedude7 LawnSite Senior Member
    from america

Hey guys I have no idea how to price leaves. I got a call the other day from a lady whos husband is a doctor and is always working, she said she wants me to take care of their leaves this fall I told her there about 1/4 down now and that Ill probably have to come over 4 or five times to stay on top of it, she agreed and I told her id give her a price after the first cleanup. I spent 2 hours and 15 minutes out there today with my friend who showed up and helped out for an hour. We blew everything into the open parts of the grass then mulched it. This is a pretty good sized corner lot with lots of trees. I figure it'll take me another 2-2.25 hours by myself or 1.10 with some help so it'll be maybe just shy of 6 man hours of leaf work (we have to bag them but shes providing the bags.) What should I charge for this? She has acknowledged that leaves will cost a good bit more than grass. But keep in mind in 15 so a normal price for yall will sound a little high for me no matter how good a job I do. Im thinkin like 120 does that sound about right? Thats like 20$ /man hour. I really like jobs like this where I just show up and do the work and get paid good $ then do it again next week. payup

2. mharris

mharris LawnSite Member

$20/man hour is jack squat. you should be charging $50-70? man hour

3. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

He is a child. $15/hour would be too much.

4. Guthrie&Co

Guthrie&Co LawnSite Senior Member
    from nc

a good labor rate in nc is around 35 and hr on up. i wouldnt bill less than 35. this might put you in the ballpars since your on the eastcoast as well.

5. liquidforcedude7

from america

I think im guna be really lucky to get 20/hour for 5 visits itll probably be more like 80 a time.

6. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

what equipment were you using?

you cannot command $50/hr if you're using a craftsman blower
    you cannot make a living at $20/hr with commercial equipment.

7. liquidforcedude7

from america

Troy Bilt Super Bronco lawn tractor, I use it for its slope handling and bagging. Homelite backpack blower, giant vac push blower 8hp, rakes etc.

8. Magnum Services

Magnum Services LawnSite Member

I charge $35.00 per man hour for anything other than mowing.I use a Stihl BR420 blower and blow all leaves into the yard,then mulch them with an Exmark walk behind.Most places take about 2 to 3 hours to do and I do them 2 to 3 times a year.My customers like my work and pay my prices.Good luck with your endeavors.

9. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

In all honesty I am not sure how anyone stays in business and can pay all the bills, and themselves a decent wage, and charge only $35 per hour. I get paid a good deal more than that per hour and my employees cost more than $35 per hour.

10. Guthrie&Co

Guthrie&Co LawnSite Senior Member
    from nc

thats why u live in new hampshire and not where we do. diffrent market for diffrent areas. your a larger operation than some. some here are justa one man show.