Hour Meter for manual-start Quick

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by freedm2, Apr 17, 2008.

1. freedm2

freedm2 LawnSite Member
    from PA

Has anyone added a hour meter to a manual-start Quick mower? BOP only installs them on the electric start models. I've searched the web and it seems like you can installed them on any engine.

I'd like to get one that doesn't require a internal battery. Can you guys make a suggestion.

Thanks

2. Big C

Big C LawnSite Bronze Member

How do you plan on powering it without an internal battery or a battery on your mower.......gas powered:confused:.....oh wait......solar power...:laugh:

3. freedm2

freedm2 LawnSite Member
    from PA

I see they have models that use the electricity generated from the engines ignition/spark system. I was hoping others had added aftermarket hour meters to their Quick units.

4. LarryF

LarryF LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, that's true. There are after-market tachometer/hour-meters that operated from spark-plug pulses, and the ones I'm familiar with have a wire that is to be wrapped around the spark-plug wire. But I'm pretty sure the digital display always needs a DC battery source, and that is provided by either a self-contained watch battery or the mower's battery if it's electric start. Seemed obvious to me that Big C was trying to tell you the same thing.

5. RAW

RAW LawnSite Member
    from NC

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I think what he was trying to say is that his mower doesn't have a battery so the meter will have to be self powered.

Most meters designed for our applications are self powered. I've had several Sendecs and found them to be lacking in both battery longevity and resistance to sun fade.

I much prefer these:

http://www.tinytach.com/tinytach/index.php