Hour Meter Not Working

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by DMAN, Apr 26, 2003.

1. DMAN

DMAN LawnSite Member

Hello,

My just noticed that my hour meter stopped working on my Lazer Z- 25 HP at 790 hrs and was wondering if this is something that happenes alot on the machines. I assume it cannot be repaired and what is the cost of a new one from my dealer or is this under warranty.My machine serial number is 244538. Model LZ25K604. Is there any way to put the new meter at 790 hrs? Thank you for your response.

DMAN

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Hey DMAN,

Hour meters occasionally fail, but they usually fail within the first 50 hours if the meter is defective. Are you sure you just don't have a bad connection somewhere? Maybe a wire came loose? Do you know if the oil pressure sending switch is functioning? If this is bad, the hour meter won't run.

Most people just replace the hour meter when it goes out. To my knowledge, you can't repair them. The suggested retail on the hour meter is around $50, and it is not under warranty.

You can put 790 hrs. back on the hour meter by wiring it to run when the key is turned on, instead of when the engine runs, but it's going to take a while to put 790 hrs. back on it. You just can't open the meter up and roll it forward. I would just record the number of hours when it stopped and work from there. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Here to help,

Dustin

3. DieselDeere

DieselDeere LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

What does the oil pressure sending switch have to do with the hour meter?

4. eXmark

DieselDeere:

The oil pressure sending switch acts as a ground for the hour meter.

Dustin
    Exmark Customer Support

5. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I always use a little dielectric grease on all exposed wire connections, light bulb sockets etc. Anything that is exposed and electrical in nature can benefit from this.

6. DMAN

DMAN LawnSite Member

Dustin,

Where is the oil pressure sending switch on my mower? How do I tell if it is bad? Thanks for the response.

DMAN

7. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

isn't that what it uses to shunt to ground so the hour meter only truely runs when the engine is on? my walker hour meter will run with the key on and engine off.

8. eXmark

MikeLT1Z28 and DMAN:

MikeLT1Z28, you're correct. The oil pressure sending switch shuts the ground so the hour meter gives you the actual number of hours on the engine. Some manufacturers choose to wire their mowers like your Walker, but then you never really knew if the hours on the meter were correct.

DMAN, the oil pressure sending switch on your machine should be somewhere on the top of the engine. You may have to search around a little. Look under the air cleaner. Sometimes engine manufacturers move these around a bit.

An easy way to check to see if it is good is to unplug the wire going to the switch. Then take that wire and ground it somewhere on the machine. Once it is grounded, turn the key to the "on" position (not the "start" position). If your hour meter starts to run, this tells you that you have a bad oil pressure switch. Make sure that you are unplugging and grounding the correct wire. If you just start unplugging and grounding whatever wire you find, you could damage your mower. If you don't feel comfortable doing this, take it to your local Exmark Dealer. If you want to talk to someone here at Exmark, call Fred in Customer Support. His phone number is 402/223-6270.

Hope this answers your questions,

Dustin