1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hour meter on a surfer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dhenegar, Feb 18, 2001.

1. dhenegar

dhenegar LawnSite Member

Has anyone ever put a hour meter on a surfer or any other mower. Just wondering how hard it is to put on, price of a hour meter and what it hooks to. Thanks!
  2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Most hour meters hook up to the ground and the switched side of the switch so it turns it on when the switch is turned on. Some hook them to the PTO switch so it keeps the hours the deck is running. It is very simple to do.

A TinyTach is a combination Tach and hour meter and it hooks up to the ground and the other wire, the end wraps around a spark plug wire.

I hope this helps.
  3. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

Dhenegar, I would recommend the TinyTach but I have only seen them on Dixie Choppers and never for sale separately. I have used the Sendec ones available in most catalogs and dealers. Unfortunately they last one season at most. They are very easy to install. Just wrap the one cord around the spark plug and drill 2 small holes through metal somewhere on mower and screw the meter on. They are $40 but I saw in one magazine if you bought 4 or more they were $30.