hour meter on string trimmer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LushGreenLawn, May 25, 2006.

1. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

Has anyone tried putting an hour meter on a string trimmer? if so, what kind did you use?

2. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

Of course not !!! Use it, wear it out, buy a new one - it's that simple. :usflag:

3. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

No I haven't but thats a real good idea. I just bought a new Stihl KM110 4 mix this spring probably not a bad idea to drop a tiny tach on it because i'm curious how long these things actually last... I had my FS80 since '02 and got rid of it this past winter it still ran perfect like it was new... so 4 years and no noticable effects... my friend bought a new FC85 edger and my FS80 ran twice as good as that new edger LOL... same engine, nearly same machine....
    I might just put a tach/hourmeter on mine for kicks and giggles...

4. Howie's Lawn Care

Howie's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

It would only be useful for making comparisons and peace of mind. It wouldn't help sell in most cases because these pieces of equipment don't cost a whole lot to begin with and there's no way to define how many hours should be on it anyway. It would be cool for determining gas expenses.

-Nick Howard

5. Tech man

Tech man LawnSite Member

It would be good for the 4-mix, only because you have to adjust the valves at certain hourly intervals.