1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hour meter on trimmers and blowers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HighGrass, Sep 5, 2005.

1. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

Anybody tried installing and hour meter on either a trimmer or blower? Can it be done?
  2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

3. MBDiagMan

MBDiagMan LawnSite Senior Member

Since a trimmer has no battery or alternator what would you use for 12Volt power?

Good luck,
  4. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

Yea I know, that's what I was wondering.
  5. BenchMark Landscaping

BenchMark Landscaping LawnSite Member

the digital hour meter that mcw posted has an internal battery...

doesi t pick up a signal from the alternator and battery or are you siply stating that it needs 12v to power up...because if so, then the one mcw posted should be fine...

don't know exactly how hour meter get their input though...
  6. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Briggs and stratton make a maintenance minder that also can work as a hour meter. It will work on just the curent that the magneto uses to produce a spark. fairly cheap like 15 bucks. Has a sticky adhesive on back to stick anywhere on your machine. Personally I don't think putting one on a 2 cycle is worth it. I feel they are more throw away machines. Use them for 3 years put them up for backup and buy a new one. Just guestimate your regular maintenance. I.e Lubing the shaft. :p
  7. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

seriously, what would you need an hour meter on a trimmer for? There really is no maintenance to be done on them - at least I don't do anything to mine and they last 3-5 years.
  8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I would like to have them on blowers to collect some data on true cost to clean up parking lot.
  9. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

I did say trimmer not blower lol :p
  10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Most hour meters like the one mentioned above, the Tiny Tach and the Sendec use an inductive wire wrapped around the plug wire to sense when the engine is running. Also as mentioned above they usually have an internal, non-replaceable lithium battery for power.

I did mount a Sendec to a trimmer one time just for giggles but it kept getting knocked off. I tried tie wrapping it but there really wasn't a good place to mount it.