hour meter question

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by Nelson Lawns, Aug 13, 2006.

1. Nelson Lawns

Nelson Lawns LawnSite Member

When does the digital hour meter run? On startup, or when the engine is idled up? My friend’s SZ Kaw. has the digital meter and he says he was putting 300 hrs a year on his old mower but his hustler only has 160 so far this year. He says the hourglass does not always turn on the meter. On cold startup it does not move, when he idles up it starts and will run all day after that on startup, even idle. Any info on meter used?

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I am pretty sure it used to be running only when you were in the seat.....
    I will double check that, because that was with the old analog style meter.

Pj

3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, if it's the digital meter, it only runs when someone is in the operators seat.

Nothing wrong with this....Over a LIFETIME of use, your hours should only differ by a couple hours between this and a traditional ignition-ON type analog meter.

4. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

I am told our old analog meters ran only when someone was in the seat.
    With the newer Hustler Z's / Super Z's with digital hour meters, I am told they run whenever the key is on.

Pj

5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I may be wrong, but I think you have that backwards.

I wasn't around for the old meters, but I can say for certain, my new SuperZ only ticks when my but's in the seat!

6. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

I am only posting what I am told.
    I will double check with them.

Pj

7. mls64

mls64 LawnSite Member
    from n tx

On my Fastrak the digital hour meter starts blinking (i.e. counting) when the key is in in the on position, regardless of whether the motor is running or I'm in the seat or not.

Mike

8. dc33

dc33 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

if its just parked in the garage and Im sitting in the seat will it run??

9. mls64

mls64 LawnSite Member
    from n tx

Only if the key is in the "on" position, which sends a signal to the meter to count, regardless of whether the motor is running.