Hour meter question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sweetz, Jul 17, 2008.

1. sweetz

sweetz LawnSite Bronze Member

How will an hour meter meant for single cylinder engines (the kind that you just wrap around the wire from the spark plug) act on a dual cylinder? The engine is a Kawasaki Kai 17 HP.

2. mtcjb

mtcjb LawnSite Member

hmmm would think an hour run time would be an hour run time no matter how many cylenders ya have, just power on ,the timers ticking power off stop, the meter.

3. sweetz

That's what I thought, but after I bought the unit - the directions specify it as a single cylinder unit!?!?

4. milkie62

milkie62 LawnSite Senior Member

It should not matter.Multi-cylinder engines would fire at different cycles of the 1st cylinder.

5. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

What brand is it? I know I've used the Tiny-Tach meters before on both single and twin engines, they are supposed to work on both. I can't figure out how that works either... Seems like a single cyl. engine running at 3600 rpm's would have to fire double as many times as a twin cyl. engine does on one cyl. But I've hooked mine to both and get an accurite RPM reading either way.

6. sweetz

It's a briggs hour meter, it works on a Kohler 19HP single.

7. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know how those replacement meters are wired or how it is determined which one to use on single cylinders or dual cylinder engines to monitor the RPM's.

But on an original meter the hours are counted as long as the key is turned on. If a person leaves the ignition on by mistake the hours count right on along.

8. Happy Frog

Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member

Most two cylinders small engines fire both plugs at the same time (no distribution of ignition) so the tach works the same on one and two cylinders engines.

9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Exactly. It's called a Wasted Spark Ignition. Every time the engine does a complete revolution the spark plug(s) fires.

10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Exactly. It's called a Wasted Spark Ignition. Every time the engine does a complete revolution the spark plug(s) fires.