Hour Meter

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DBALLARD, Apr 26, 2000.

DBALLARD LawnSite Member

How many of you have Hour meters on you mowers?
  2. walkerrider

walkerrider LawnSite Member

It is pretty much standard equipment nowadays. Its an easy add if you don't have one. Well worth the $30-50 cost.
  3. mountain man

mountain man LawnSite Member

How do you go about putting one on a walk behind? It is an easy installation or does it need to go to the dealer? Who are some hour meter vendors?
  4. walkerrider

walkerrider LawnSite Member

The most common type require a battery source. So you would need a 12V electric start system. If you don't have this you can purchase one from Jacks small engines which uses a coil of wire wrapped around your sparkplug wire. The ignition flow will give you both engine RPMS and running time in hours. For this unit go to www.jackssmallengines.com. Go to the index and find hour/tachometer and it will show you the unit how to install it etc. Its $39.00. I have never used one but Jacks is great so I would not expect any problem regarding your satisfaction.<p>#2 If you have 12V battery source and as a result you have ignition switch the: locate the wire from your iginition switch which is hot when when turn the switch. One wire is always hot from the battery the other will be keyed hot and is the one which sends current to your starter. Once located either cut and splice a wire into the line or use a wire clamp to connect a new wire off of this source. Bring that power wire to one side of the hour meter and on the other side run a wire to ground. The meter will operate when you turn the key. The install is simple and the hardest part is trying to find a convient place to put the meter. Call Jacks for the meter or any local marine supply or landscape supply should keep them in stock. The meters are made by Teleflex.
  5. grasscapeinc

grasscapeinc LawnSite Member

I use hour meters on just about everything $400 and up. I keep very good maintenece on all the equip. and it lasts me a VERY long time, like it is supposed to. Hour meters help with under (or over) servicing. <br>I use these. Very easy to install<br>www.sendec.com