Hour Meter?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by YotaNate, Mar 19, 2006.

1. YotaNate

YotaNate LawnSite Member

I'm in the process of putting an hour meter on my new Ferris WB. It has a pull start motor, so no battery. Using a voltmeter, I found that once the motor is running, a wire running from the ignition switch to the pto control is powered by 12 volts, or really close to it. I tapped into this wire, but the hour meter is not working.

Any ideas on another place to hook up the power wire on a mower with no battery?

2. MysticLandscape

MysticLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member

I have no idea what type of meter you have but mine is digital with some kind of battery in it. Then there are two wires that run to the sprak plug and i think the touch it maybe? Im not sure how they work, hope this helps you.

3. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

The battery ones will have a wire to the spark plug and a ground for somewhere on the deck.

4. YotaNate

YotaNate LawnSite Member

Mine is just a regular 12 volt with a hot wire lead, and a ground lead. I'm hoping I can get it to work, because the parts store won't take back electrical parts, and it wasn't that cheap.

5. MysticLandscape

MysticLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member

Dont they cost like $30, mine did and they installed it to.

6. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I have a scag that is a rope start, there is a wiring harness and I cant remember but it doesnt have 12 volts on it. The voltage is regulated by rpm, at mowing rpm its like 18-20 volts. Anyway this is the hourmeter I put on my mower and it works wellhttp://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&productId=200246424&R=200246424

wayne

7. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

8. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

9. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

10. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

However my Huster 37" had one factory installed similar to one grass cuttin fool posted.
    It quit working at 450? hours. The 37" Huster doesn't have a battery. I changed and now use
    these on my Hustlers and other equipment. I am posting the link for newer members who may not know about them.

http://www.tinytach.com/tinytach/index.php