Hour meter?

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Green Pastures, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Why no stock hour meter on Exmark Turf Tracers?

This is a commercial unit, why is something as simple as an hour meter not included from the factory.

Seems that it is a standard item on Toro W/B mowers.....

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Green Pastures,

From what I've heard, the hourmeters like the ones we have on our riders are quite expensive. Cheaper hourmeters are not reliable, and can easily be manipulated. How much would you be willing to pay for such a feature?

KC

3. Green Pastures

Well I just got quoted $6550 for an Exmark 52" hydro drive ECS W/B electric start Turf Tracer....

How much would an integrated (not stuck on with double sided tape) RELIABLE hour meter add to that price? You tell me.

I can tell you that EVERY single piece of commercial mowing equipment I've ever bought came with an hour meter.

How am I supposed to keep up with preventative maintenance without one?

Don't turn my question into a question back at me, you're the manufacturer.

I'm telling you I want one on my machines, put one on and determine a price. I'll decide if it's worth it from that point. At the very least make it an option like striping rollers.

No hour meters on machines aimed at the commercial grounds maintenance companies is just ludicrous.

4. Happy Frog

Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member

A good Tach/hourmeter is about $39 retail...

5. Green Pastures

6. eXmark

I'm not sure why you're so upset. If you read your initial post, and then read my reply, I answered your question. Therefore, I did not answer your question w/ another question. I simply requested more information from you.

The problem w/ putting one on the machine and then determining a price is that if the price is higher than your percieved value, the unit won't sell. We as the manufacturer would rather ask you up front how much that feature is worth to you, and then attempt to fulfill that request. It is a much smarter NPD strategy to ask the customer what they want and then fulfill it, than to build a product that we "think" you want and have it not sell because we missed the mark.

Hopefully that clears things up???

KC

7. Green Pastures

I'm not upset. Sorry if I appeared to be.

You did answer my question.

We are talking about an hour meter here, NOT a V8 engine. The percieved value/cost is minimal when we are talking dollars, the value to the owner as far as maintenance issues and resale value far exceeds the initial cost to the owner or the mfg. IMHO.

IMO the lack of an hour meter on an air cooled commercial lawn mower is akin to a passenger car not having a odometer.

I don't make my customers tell me what they think it's worth to them for me to maintain their lawn. I give them several different prices based on options I think/guess they may want/afford and let them decide what they want.

No it does not.

I'd still like to see hour meters on Exmark W/B mowers.

I still think it's ludicrous that I even have to bring it up. To me it's a given.

8. eXmark

Green Pastures,

I think you are generalizing your views over the entire Exmark walk-behind customer, and that's not a fair assumption. Are there users who share your views? Of course. Are there users who don't see $100 for an hourmeter as valuable? You bet. The plain and simple fact is that we don't offer hourmeters on our walk-behinds, and we have no plans to in the near future.

Also, I have edited your previous post. If you use the same aggressive and inappropriate tone in your next post, it will be deleted. I don't have a problem w/ a good debate, but I won't tolerate rude behavior in this forum!

Regards,
    KC

9. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

The solution is simple : buy your own hour meter for $25 and slap it on.
    PS full size Turf Tracers have a meter standard as well as other features and is correctly reflected in the price..

10. eXmark

I believe Green Pastures is referring to the TTHP and lower lines.

KC