Hour Meter

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ooomwizard, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Ooomwizard

Ooomwizard LawnSite Senior Member
    from atlanta

Looking for buy a used ZT rider for my new biz. Anyone hear of peeps unplugging the hour meter to resell the mower after they run it a bunch or depreciate it for awhile?

Just being cautious. Or, too cautious?

Mark in ATL

2. dwlah

dwlah LawnSite Senior Member
    from Argo Al

Havent heard that one but it wouldnt surprise me if someone did
    Have heard the hourmeter doesnt work/quit working
    Look at the general condition of the machine it should kinda match up with what the person tells you as far as hours go

3. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

That is a terrible thing to do.

Personally I would not do that because I maintain my equipment by the hour meter.

4. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

It wouldnt surprise me either, but I think most people that are into this commercially, rely on an hour meter for accurate tracking of maintenance....I know I do...I check mine daily to be sure its operating

wayne

5. Happy Frog

Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member

I am sure some tried to cheat to hustle more money but there is no way to know if one as really changed the oil at recommended intervals either.
    You have to trust your guts and look at the right places on the machines.
    In general, for professional equipment, I find it to be better to buy new and change often than buying used and deal with the maintenance.

6. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

almost bought a used exmark from my dealer...

it was a trade in " a little oke lady owned it- and only mowed on Sundays"

Started looking at it, and noticed the hour meter was unpluged, he said she said it was keeped inside all the time...and it had 350 hrs. on it....

But between me you and the barn door......

Some one was lieing...........

I didn't walk away from this one ............... I RAN

7. Ooomwizard

Ooomwizard LawnSite Senior Member
    from atlanta

Thx for the replys all.

When looking over a used machine, besides the wear on the wheels, wobble of the spindles/blades, condition of the seat(?), color of the engine oil (if it hasn't been changed recently,)... what else could I be looking for?

Maybe rust if it's been kept out in the rain?

Thx,
    Mark in ATL

8. echo8287

echo8287 LawnSite Member
    from Ga

I had a guy tell me it had less "ACTUAL"hours than the hour meter showed, cause his kid liked to play on it and turned the key switch on. David

9. IMAGE

IMAGE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from midwest

It would be pretty stupid for someone to do that. The hourmeter is needed for maintence. I will add an hourmeter to a machine that doesnt come with one.

10. I MOW ALONE

I MOW ALONE LawnSite Bronze Member

that one is probably true. i have accidentally turned the key on and a couple hours later realized it.