Hour meter

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnsRUsInc., Mar 23, 2003.

1. LawnsRUsInc.

LawnsRUsInc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

I have a question that kind of concerned me. The hour meter on my new ferris Z wont work (click the time over) unless i have deck on how true of an engine meter is that i dont care how many hours there are on the deck i wont to know about the engine. Do you guys have this probelm to.

Jason

2. gvlawncare

gvlawncare LawnSite Member

I dont think that your hour meter is wired right. Sounds like when they wired it at the factory, they wired it to your PTO switch. You say that it's a new mower, so i'd call your dealer and ask them to fix it. If it's new it should be under warranty still right? If you bought it used, it sounds like the person that owned it before you took it apart and didnt get it put together correctly.. Hope this helps. MATT

3. LawnsRUsInc.

LawnsRUsInc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Yea the mowe is 5 days old an i just got it last week its a 2003 Ferris
    Jason

4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

To be able to monitor the amount of time the mower actually "works"!!

Of course you'd still need a "regular" hour meter, but one that was activated by the PTO switch sounds like a pretty cool idea. So would an odometer for that matter! :D

5. Benry1234

Benry1234 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Ferris has always wired hour meters to only run when you have the PTO on. They must have come form a lawn mower dealership. I know it is tough to sell a brand new $6000.00 garden tractor with 40 hours on it because the ignition switch was left on. Unless you are using your Ferris to go to the mall your none mowing time should not be a very large percentage of your total engine hours. Good luck it's a great mower.

Benry