Hour Meters

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bommaritro, Feb 5, 2003.

1. bommaritro

bommaritro LawnSite Member

I was just curious if there is a good hour meter out there that can stand up to heavy use. I got a couple of cheapy ones that burned out, broke, or just plain died. Looking specificaly for a meter for mowers but I was kicking around the idea of attaching a small on if there is such a thing to trimmers to help determine the actual amount of time that they are used. If it works for trimmers I may do the blowers too. Just looking for an accurate way to track them for maitinance.

Ron

2. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

It is very important to track the hours on equipment. Without this trying to do preventive maintenance is just a guessing game. I do not have hour meters on trimmers or blowers. I just track the gallons of gas run through the equipment and that gives me a very good idea on the hours the equipment has been run. This of course assumes that you know how long it takes you to run a gallon of gas through each piece of equipment.

Gravely_Man

3. bommaritro

Everything that I run personaly I can gauge how many hours it has run by watching the gas. However the biggest issue is having helpers or part timers that don't track how much gas they have used. That is where I run into the hit or miss maintinance. That is the main reason why I am looking for a heavy duty hour meter for my mowers the idea of timers for my trimmers and blowers would be a nice perk if they were cost effective and could handle the abuse.

Ron

4. bommaritro

Sorry I sort of got off onto a tangent about blowers. I am looking for a recomendation on a good hour meter for a mower.

5. Slant7

Slant7 LawnSite Member

6. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

I think this is a good thread BUT, who would place a $40 hourmeter/tach on a $200 piece of equip? These things can't cost more than $5 each to a dealer. I checked EBAY and none to be found there. Anyone?

7. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I think a $40 meter on a bp blower which costs from $400-$1000 would definately be wortyh it.

8. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

Lawncare3- where in the world are you buying a BP blower for $1000???? Most BP blowers are in the neighborhood of $400. Fourty dollars is 10% of the cost. I can understand the cost for a $2500 mower but not for a $400 blower. By the way, a Sendec will work on a trimmer or blower. I have tested the RPM's with one but would never mount one on there because of the cost. Every month mine receive routine maintenance. I don't have time to guess at the number of hours.

9. Weedburner

Weedburner LawnSite Member

I bought several Hobbs brand meters from a farm supply store. They had them in the bargain bin. They record time when voltage is applied. Seem to hold up and work well. About the same thing most OEM"s use.

10. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

The toro, snapper, and makita sell for around about $1000.