Hourly Bid for mowing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by IMoLwnz.com, Mar 14, 2007.

1. IMoLwnz.com

IMoLwnz.com LawnSite Member

Have the chance to bid on a town home development threw a builder before the HOA is set up.

Very good size account, but they are looking for an hourly price bid.

I don’t do hourly bids - even snow is not hourly. I’d still like to submit a Bid it could be a good account.

I have in mind my Costs. I’m looking for some feedback on what others have bid.

Thanks

2. cward

cward LawnSite Member

If they want an hourly bid give them one, they have every right to accept bids in any manner they wish. I don't price hourly either, but if that is what it takes to get the job. You probably have an idea of what you want to charge per mow and the estimated time you anticipate, so convert it to an hourly rate and bid it. For example, if the property will take 30 mins and your charge would be $35.00 per mow, your hourly rate would be $75.00 per hour. Play the game and get the job. Good luck.

3. mirrorlandscapes

mirrorlandscapes LawnSite Member

Go for it! Do what you can to get your figures for an houly bid. I bid just about everything hourly with minimums and exceptions. If you know your overhead costs well and how much time it takes to mow/trim an acre, just adjust and then add a little. Everything seems to take longer than you think.
    Hope you get it.

4. IMoLwnz.com

IMoLwnz.com LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input.

Traffic has been getting worse around this area and Im looking at the large accounts that will take a day or so to mow. I really can get beat up with travel time, although I do have a very good number of accounts in tight area. I know what my costs are and I know what I make on single properties. Hourly may be a good thing for this large account. At least I have the rate set and I can not make any less than what I want per Hour. What do you do as you shave of time and how do you charge for equipment per hour I have a mowing decks W/B 33 -- JD 757 mod 60-- JD 777 72. I will be purchasing more equipment for this job, but how do you charge per hour for this equipment - also how do you charge for trimming.

OR do you have a set hourly rate and that is for what ever equipment it takes from a 72 inch mower to a trimmer. Labor costs stay close to the same but the equipment cost obviously go up.

Im also looking how to word a hourly contract like this any suggestions.

5. Imow4u2

Imow4u2 LawnSite Senior Member

I stick in the neighborhood of,

40.00 a man hour for a trimmer
    45-50 a man hour on the walk
    60.00 a tach hour on the 60" cut
    75.00 a tach hour with the 72"
    2.00 a mile to travel anything over 6 mi. from the shop....

6. mirrorlandscapes

mirrorlandscapes LawnSite Member

IMoLwnz.com, I gotta rephrase my last post. When I quote jobs, I have an hourly rate that I use and estimate how much time it would take a 2 or 3 man crew to finish, then multiply that by my hourly rate and give the flat price as my bid. That said, since you know your costs and time go ahead and use your houly price for the quote, but decide how many guys your going to stick on the property.

For the contract, make sure you define when contract "labor" begins and ceases, so you both know what you're getting paid for. Also if you have different hourly rates for different services, make sure you state that too. I would quote per crew hour (if you have more than one person working on the property). Word it "$X.xx/man hour" (if it's just you) "$x.xx/hour (includes the cost for your company to show up and do the work)" if you have a crew.

I haven't had to quote something like that before, so I'm just throwing suggestions out there. The contract I have stipulates, the work to be done, who pays and when, limits my liability for weather conditions, and makes exclusions for change orders and rising gas prices.

Hope that helps and that you get the job. :cool2:

7. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

don't forget to charge for : mileage, gas, mowers, trimmers, blower, and your hrly rate. I you use two Zs or walkbehinds $10-$14 dollars an hr $5-$7 for each mower and $3hr for each trimmer, blower you use. Then charge them for your unload time, mileage, gas and labor. You will need to figure out how long it will take you to do the place then figure in your costs.

8. chevyzq8

chevyzq8 LawnSite Member

Hourly is the best kind as long as they are willing for the amount of hours you have into the job :)

9. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Do you really think that if you bid that $35 job at $75 per hr. that they would hire you? Fortunately I have never been asked for an hourly bid, but if I did, I would have to put down $100/hr. for me and $70 for my wife. Those are the numbers our two mowers make per hr. when mowing for $25 per acre.
    As soon as I presented those numbers to somebody, they would laugh me off the face of the earth.
    If I had to bid a place by the hr. I would have to say "We feel that the average mowing operation would take 5 man hrs., @ $70/hr. = $350". Then if we got the bid my wife and I would then go in and do it in 2 hrs. = $340, and if they said anything about it I would tell them we upgraded.

10. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I agree with Flex.

Do they want an hourly bid, since the account is not finished yet, therefore they'll always be changing the amount that's to be mowed??

Or is it staying hourly, even after the HOA is finished??

What's going to happen when for 3-4-5-6 weeks straight, there's been little rain, so you're able to zip right through the account, but then it rains for 2 weeks, and it's just a swamp, then the account is charged for a weeks mowing, at the rate they paid for the previous 4 weeks??

Personally, I would NOT bid it at an hourly rate, but I WOULD say this is my flat rate fee, at the hourly rate that I would have to charge.

I'm also in the position after 19 years where I don't need any more work, and won't take on anything that someone won't let me do it the way I want to. It's called streamlining, doing things cheaper, increasing the bottom line.