1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hourly fees in connecticut for this season

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Adam X, Feb 10, 2002.

1. Adam X

Adam X LawnSite Member

I was wonder if any you guys were thinking of raising hourly fees this year, I'm thinking of going from 30 to $35 for my self and charging $30 for workers. Do you guys think this is to low.

2. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

It's too low for me here in Wisconsin.
  3. Why more for you?

And not every service should have the same hourly fee.

If it did you could come here and construct all my retaining walls for me at those prices. I will make a fortune. Don't even have to have or maintain equipment.

Each of your services use different equipment, you need to add those costs to your fees also.

I guy with a shovel should not be the same as a guy with a $10,000 mower.

PIONEER LawnSite Member

I charge $32 per man,
  5. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Heres a thread that explains some of what LGF is talking about.

I wont charge the same for a laborer with a rake as I will a technician with a 12' ladder and a 30" bar for shearing shrubbery.

There are also some interesting points made about whats fair and whats not fair. Hope this helps.
  6. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

You must be a scrub, since here in Htfd Co. the going rate is 45-60 per man hour and fairfield Co. is a helluva lot higher cost of living than here...
  7. Kris W, you forgot to include the thread.

Bill his profile says he is 18 and a senior, so that explains his low pricing. No other costs to live or work.

I would suggest you take a business coures real soon, while your still young.
  8. PAPS

PAPS LawnSite Senior Member

We get $35.00 per man hour for our laborers for misc. work.
  9. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

10. SLSNursery

SLSNursery LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks Bill.....Adam - try to figure out what it costs you to operate. Then determine how much money you want to make. If you don't figure it out in this manner, you'll be basing your prices on what the general consensus is. I'm in New Haven County, and without giving specific numbers, there are several different rates we charge, as would be explained in other threads. You can't rely on what is said here for a pricing structure, only on your own real world variables. I probably have lower costs in New Haven than I would for the same operation in Faifield, but I have found that pricing jobs in Fairfield County is like playing roulette. I know what we need to charge, but have run across lowballers even in New Canaan and Greenwich on multi million dollar properties.

Bottom line - you need to base your charges on your level of expertise and capabilities. Don't worry too much about what the other guys are charging at this point. Educate yourself, take the advice you pick up here and there and you'll be able to figure out how to charge. Like the Godfather says, take some business classes while you are still young.

Try to visit the Hartford, CT show on February 28 at the Civic Center if you want to meet some other companies from around the state.