hourly income - basic lawn care service only

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by GreenWestCoast, May 9, 2013.

1. GreenWestCoast

GreenWestCoast LawnSite Member

I am interested in what you all feel the 'industry standard' is for hourly income.

Also if anyone will speak about what their goal rate is, where you are currently and how you might get to a higher hourly rate. We are just starting out and would be grateful for some feedback.

Note: We were thinking $60.00 per hour would be our goal. We're finding 'the devil is in the detail' (edging/trimming and getting our customers initial cut to am impressive standard takes extra time. ie: the lawn is overgrown! It seems to be a catch-22 but if the lawn is 'prepped' for the start of the season the extra time might just be a great investment for a weekly paying customer.

:canadaflag: we Canadian, maybe we are being too nice? ;)

2. RSK Property Maintenance

RSK Property Maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member

60 an hour is certainly a start....I get 120-130 when i have someone helping me, but on my own especially when its wet outside or raining, i'll be lucky to get 40-80 an hour...

3. Paul's Green Thumb

Paul's Green Thumb LawnSite Member

Just so we are clear, are we talking GROSS ourly income? Or NET? Because so far my NET hourly income (actual profit, after expenses), has been more like $40/hr.

4. M&L

M&L LawnSite Member

Basic lawn care around here is some kid that cuts Fescue at 1.5" in the middle of summer. And they don't even edge it.:laugh: Those guys make
    10-15/hour. Recently got a call from a lady who had that happen.

Working for some one else, 9-18/ hour

On your own with some knowledge in the business 30-65/ hour:dancing:

With experience, good equipment, and a QAL 65+ per hour:weightlifter::usflag:

**All numbers are rough estimates of gross earnings. Individual results may differ

5. Paul's Green Thumb

Paul's Green Thumb LawnSite Member

Ok, well that makes me feel better :)

Next year the goal is to go FT with the QAL... hopefully I can hit the ground running and make those kind of numbers! For now, as a "value-added" lawn boy (seeding, mulch, pavers, etc), I'm pretty happy with my +/- $40 net :D

6. Utah Lawn Care

Utah Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I net 50/hour from leaving the house to getting home. When I bid the lawns I bid to get 60-75/hour while on the job.

7. alexschultz1

alexschultz1 LawnSite Bronze Member

After taxes, rent, payroll, insurance, and equipment depreciation I'm netting around 1500 a week. I guess. The last 2 years I've made 80,000 in a year. I also work 12 hour days and weekends. One day I hope to be in a position where I can send out multiple crews and sit in an office, but right now I'm stuck in the daily grind, and will be for another couple years

8. Bridging Financial

Bridging Financial LawnSite Member

Great Question

I have a little over 10 years in the Turf Industry and a degree. Its good to know what other people are doing. But if they are over or under priced then so are you. To insure fair and competitive pricing I would enter all your monthly expenses and go over board on what you include (better to be safe than sory). Then multiply the amount by 12(months) giving you yearly expenses and then divide it by billable hours in a season or a year however you operate. Then compare that price to your local market and make comfortable adjustments. Every company should have different pricing because there are different variables that go into pricing in order to be successful, and knowing WHY your prices are what they are helps. It makes it easy to explain to customers, and builds confidence in you and your business when doing so. Expenses most people forget are Lights, Internet service, Equipment Maintenance, Equipment replacement, Savings for dry spells, rainy days or sudden equipment failure, and continuing education to name a few expenses. I hope this was helpful and will bring you great success. If you have any questions please contact me and will go into greater detail.

9. A. W. Landscapers  Inc.

A. W. Landscapers Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you asking if there is a "industry standard" hourly rate that all companies in that particular industry and market have to charge for their services?

If so, the answer is no. This is a free market system and there is no "industry standard" hourly rate that you have to abide by. You charge what the market will bear for the particular segment of the market you service.

10. CNYScapes

CNYScapes LawnSite Senior Member

I think he is more or less asking us to tell him what we get per hour so he can look for an average. Obviously he needs to add up his own overhead and come up with his own price to make sure he is profitable.

Most lawn guys have no idea how to do figure out their own overhead.(not saying this is you)

It costs me about $28/HR to send out one man in a truck with all the mowing equipment and overhead. That is COST, then I need to add profit on top of that. The second guy in the truck costs a little bit less as i dont figure vehicle expenses in to his costs.

Profit percentage is up to you. What is your time worth? What percentage are you comfortable making for the investment you have put in?

Hope that helps