1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hourly income for residential accounts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Five Diamond Lawns, Jan 26, 2004.

1. Five Diamond Lawns

Five Diamond Lawns LawnSite Member

I know this has been talked about before, but I hoping to be more specific.

How much can you expect to make per hour doing residential accounts, over a 40 hour week with a crew doing the work ( most likely a 2 man crew)

I read a lot of you saying you produce $60 per hour. That would be 2 lawns per hour 8 hour a day. Thats a lot to expect with travel time.I would kill to have that many accounts that close together.
  2. Tony Clifton

Tony Clifton LawnSite Senior Member

Its not always 2 lawns per hour. It could be 1 lawn per hour, 1/2 lawn per hour etc. Who cares how many lawns you do in a day, look at your billing, and what you are producing per hour. If your lawns are $30/cut, then yes it is 2 per hour. If you can't do 2 per hour then you may need to raise your prices, howeverit may be possible that you only need to bill 25/hour which would be 50/hr for a 2 man crew instead of 60. Just depends on your overhead etc.
  3. Five Diamond Lawns

I only used 2 lawns per hour because that the average in this area for a normal size yard job.

Raising my price doesn't work there's to much competition:(
  4. Tony Clifton

Tony Clifton LawnSite Senior Member

OK, I should have figured that. Do you think youb would be able to do 20 in a day with a 2 man crew? To be honest, we shoot for 600/ day, but our mowing crews only bring in 530/day on a couple days each week. We only need to bring in 480/day to accomplish the profits we want.
  5. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

How big are the lawns - How big is your equipment -
    How much is the going rate in your area for the 12,000K and one acre yards.

Some One with a 21" pusher is probably not going to make $60 per hr., and one running a wide commercial rider may make $80

Thanks, Brad
  6. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

What is the going rate per manhour in Olympia? Two guys should be able to mow, trim and blow at least 25 average yards [per day] if Olympia is similar to Salem Or. or Boise Id.
  7. Five Diamond Lawns

That seems high. I hope for 15-17 per 8 hours.

they would have to be awful close to get more.
  8. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

here's some input on the lower end.
    I am using only 21" mowers, and like to count on 10-12 in an 8 hour day. That's only 1 man.

i try to bill out $40 an hour when only mowing, so I try to make $320 a day mowing.

I try to keep the rates to where I could be with a larger mower, like a 36".

other jobs such as bushes I keep at around $60 an hour, as I have the proper sized equipment for those jobs right now.

Hoping to move up next year to a larger mower, but at this point this is what I figure on.
    Probably not much help, but a look at your question from a smaller guy's point of view.
  9. Johnny

Johnny LawnSite Member

Me + 48" WB = $60/hr. ($30 minimum) for maintanance.

I base all my costs (including payroll & minimum profit) on a 30 billable hour work week, 30 weeks per year = 900 billable hr./yr. These numbers will enable me personally and my company to survive.

Anything above this enables me to grow personally as well as my company to grow. So if I want to make money, I have to sell the extras (mulch installs, aeration, cleanups, etc.) and increase the billable hours per day/wk./yr. Which means efficiency, bigger equipment, and employee.
  10. Five Diamond Lawns

I'm not sure if I get that. With no employees you are grossing 54,000 a year (900 billable X $60 per hour)

What do you live on after expenses?