1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Hourly labor rate

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JasonPC, Feb 28, 2000.

1. JasonPC

JasonPC LawnSite Member

I've been in the business for 3 years. Going on our fourth season. We've doubled our business every year (just about). We charge $35 per person per hour. I'm curious as to what all of you charge for your labor rate for things like landscape intallation, pruning, and just straight labor jobs. <p>----------<br>Jason<br>JPC Landscapes

2. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Im in central CT, mowing planting grunt work etc is figured $60/hr, hedge trimming $100/hr snow $150/hr, I work by myself, dont tell the cust what the rate is but use these rates for figuring out the price for a job. <p>Guys in my area with crews usually figure $50+ per hour per man. <p>Help Wanted ad in todays paper, crew leaders start at $12 hour+ bennys.<p>I have yet to lose a job based on price, usually its me who turns a job down due to the size of it and my ability to do the job and also take care of my existing jobs.<p>Bill

3. kountryscape

kountryscape LawnSite Member
    from iowa

HEY I WANT TO MOVE TO CONN. HERE IN THE CORN FIELDS OF IOWA I CHARGE 25.00 PER HOUR FOR RES. AND 37.00 PER HOUR FOR COMM. HEY SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT IS WHEN YOU TAKE YOUR MOWER IN TO GET FIXED WHAT DO THEY CHARGE HERE TOP END IS 45.00 PER HOUR SO WHY CAN'T WE CHARGE THAT WERE A SKILLED TRADE ARE'NT WE SEE YA JARRETT

4. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

damn straight! We should be able to get that much. They have no prob paying plumbers, electricians, etc those wages, why not us. I think one of the things that makes them (homeowners)question our wages is they see how fast we are in and out. I don't see why thats a problem as long as your giving quality work. They need to understand how expensive overhead is for us ex. equipment/truck costs, taxes, bus lic, maintenance to equip, etc.<p>----------<br>&quot;guido&quot;<br>David M. Famiglietti

5. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

But they only call the plumber and electrician once every few years, not every week. We have the chance to plan and organize, and count on repeat business, so we can operate more efficiently. Therefore we don't have to charge those rates.<p>----------<br>Jim<br>North central Indiana

6. Retro67

Retro67 Banned

thelawnguy and I have similar pricing, other than the fact I don't do snow. If I priced a &quot;reasonable&quot; hourly rate, I'd price myself too low. My efficiency is what earns me the high rate, much as I'm sure Bill's efficiency does for him.<p>If you have slow laborers or yourself are not a hustler, you may not be able to make as much hourly as some of us.<p>As Bill says it is not important that you quote an hourly rate to a customer. Most would laugh if I asked for the hourly rate I make. Therefore, I price by the job, rather than by the hour. I still figure my hourly rate, but don't share it with the customer. They don't really stop to think about the time involved. If pric is within budget, amongst a couple other minor factors, the price will be accepted.&lt;p&gt;John

7. SNOWMAN

SNOWMAN Guest

JIM<br>I am in IN. also and we try to figure between 45-55 per hour for each guy either on a mower or trimming, and like everybody else we don't let the customer know that.<br>Utility tractor work is priced higher.

8. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

If you figure by the hour at 55-60 bucks, what or how do you price a typical lawn and get it. Is it gained through efficiency? I couldn't go to Miss Lucy next door and give her a quote for 55.00 to mow her 1/2 acre lot.<p>I did some figuring and found my hourly take was much greater than the $35.00 that I was charging to mow a yard, but it was due to running efficient and getting in and out in less than that hour. I just used averages, is this what you are saying?<p>Homer

9. SNOWMAN

SNOWMAN Guest

Homer<br>You're right you have to figure out where you want to be on the hourly rate and price the job in the set price.<br>For example we started picking up a lot more residential lawns that pay 45-55 total and a two man crew is in and out in 22-26 min. doing a complete nice job.<br>these have become real cost effective and the right equip. for the job is a must.<br>We were mainly a commercial co. but this trend is growing fast and I have to admit I like it.<br>Another thing you have to keep in mind if your customer is already on your route this does effect our pricing.<p>

10. Retro67

Retro67 Banned

Homer-<p>You hit it on the head. <p>John<br>