1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hourly Labor Wage?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by topchoice, Jan 5, 2007.

1. topchoice

topchoice LawnSite Member

Okay guys, just trying to hear all of the labor wages around the country- I am trying to set my price so just getting some examples. Do you charge the same rate for every job or certain jobs? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
    Spring Clean-ups=
    Fall Clean-ups=
    small landscaping jobs=:confused:
  2. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

$90/hr for a two man crew + materials + disposal/delivery fee. Generally speaking I don't like to quote an hourly rate- people will often think it's too high. If you can get good at estimating jobs, then you can actually get a little more money.
  3. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I am a little less on my hourly rate but if I must state a rate I tell them $35 a man hour based upon a 2 or 3 man crew. I think I will need to push this up a little soon. It also depends upon EQ. You have to charge for EQ one way or another, even the PU Truck sitting there.

This is a little low but at the same time, I also figure in travel time and often round up. I mean if the guys work 6.5 hours, I am going to charge for the whole day. So typically, they stay and do an extra nice job.

I also include my job time to supervise. If I am there a couple of hours they get billed for me too. Some times I don't charge my Service contract for my time depending on my activity level regarding the billable work.
  4. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

I have a set rate of $35 per man hour and $5 per hour for equipment. I also charge mileage and gas sercharge when it gets over $3 a gallon.
  5. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

I realize that at $45/man-hour I am a little high, but the truth is that I hate doing "odd jobs" and clean-ups. I'll only do them to get or keep a season contract. They tend to be a pain and more labor intensive than mowing.
    Why have 2 guys gross less working hard than when they are riding a Toro:)
  6. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

Rates depend on where you live etc. Here, if I'm charging by the hour, it's always $70/hr per man. If I'm there, of if I'm shopping for something for that project or if I'm in my shop but preparing for that job they get billed for me at same rate an hour. I pay my guys between 14 and 20/hr. so I can't make any money any lower than that. Of course if we buy materials, it's materials plus we add 20% on top for admin fees. You'd be surprised how many people take us up at that rate. I've got 2 cube vans with 2 teams booked for half of summer of 07. I'll probably have 4 crews working by the hour or by the contract. If i'm on contract, I actually will wind up with more money per hour. I do like the hourly though because at times it's hard to estimate certain projects properly and the hourly rate lets me off easy. Also, if they expect a quote, i'll usually throw in my time in the price to actually take the time to do the quote. :waving:
  7. GravyTrain

GravyTrain LawnSite Senior Member

I'm really surprised by those answers. At least the lower ones at 35 an hour. I'm going to be charging 35 a lawn, and last summer, i was mowing your average quarter acre lot in about 30 minutes with a push mower and residential grade trimmer. This year, i've got a 48wb, edger and trimmer so I figure to be in and out in around 20 minutes. On average, I try to plan on making a dollar a minute, and that goes for all jobs that I do.
  8. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

Clean-ups = reg mowing rate + $5 per bag. I can dump for free so it covers my time.
    mulch = $70/yard depending on which mulch desired
    other misc. = $60 - $100 an hour depending on how labor intensive. 2 hour minimum.
  9. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Don't misunderstand what I'm saying about hourly rate. I charge $35 per man hour for landscaping my lawns are based on lot size not hourly my typical residential lawn is around $30-$50 and take 30-45 min to complete. So you can figure that out to about $1 a minute.
  10. topchoice

topchoice LawnSite Member

I am kind of in the same boat as you are lawnpro, I was thinking about $35 per hour with the easier small side jobs, but I have charged $50-60 with jobs that are either very time consuming and/or difficult. I figured that if I am going to bust my butt doing that particular job I am going to get paid for it.