1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hourly Mowing Rates

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 4 seasons lawn&land, Apr 3, 2008.

1. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

I really thought this question would have been asked on here a million times but a search only returned prices per acre. So what do you try to get as an hourly rate in general for mowing with 1 zero turn
  2. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

its has been asked a million times....
    your answers will always and forever vary. Depending on your own 'cost to do business...'

Some will say $35hr.... up to maybe $85hr. Some need that much, some don't.
    I try and stay around the $45-$65hr range. All depends on what I'm doin'. 5 residentials in a row? or 2 acres.... it all depends.
  3. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

I really dont understand how you can make a living charging an hourly mower rate,if you work 9 hours a day and charge $1 dollar a minute like some do,thats only $540 a day. Id have to charge $3-$5 bucks a minute to be making any money .. Adding in fuel cost and Expense ,to me it makes no sense. If you cut 2 postage stamp lots 50X150 and there side by side or even accross the street from each other and it takes you 35 minutes ,are you really going to be happy with 35 bucks ! NO ! For example these size yards here in MD. Can bring $25-$40 bucks a piece. Way more profit. Now for acreage if you can mow a acre in 20 minutes with your Z you'd have to charge $2.50-$3 bucks a minute to make a profit. This also depends on what the market will bare in your area. Try to come up with a minimun for small lots as well as acrerage. JKust my .2 cents ,Do whats best for you .
  4. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

1.00 a minute is just a general rule of thumb, its not written in stone. and if you cant survive on 2700 a week then maybe you need to recheck your expenses and weed out the unnecessary ones.

J.A.G LAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

If You Cant Make It On $540 A Day You Need To Get A Different Job .
  6. stumpjumper

stumpjumper LawnSite Member

In my area most lco's are around $45.00 an hour with a $35.00 minimum, but the hourly number is not quoted to the customer, only a price per service. I have 3 in a row at $35.00 that I do in 1 hr. 50 mins=$57.27 per hr. Keep in mind the numbers in your area may not be even close to mine.
  7. Pflat1

Pflat1 LawnSite Member

10,800 a month is no good? You gotta have alot of bill payments goin out.
  8. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

Might be good for a solo operator, not with Employee's and Insurance,workers comp and other Exspence
  9. JNyz

JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member

Explain to me how you make it on only 540.00/day. Tell me your expenses. I can't wait to see this.
  10. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

but if you can make 540 per day for each employee then you will succeed. thats 1.00 an hour but for each employee.