1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

hourly mowing/trimming rate?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gordons lawn, Feb 7, 2003.

1. gordons lawn

gordons lawn LawnSite Member

what should the average hourly rate for lawn mowing and trimming be at? i know there are several factors, but is there a true average a lawncare service should try to get paid?.....help if u can, thanks:D
  2. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

$35-$40 hourly down here per man.
  3. Mark P

Mark P LawnSite Senior Member

That sounds about right 35 to 45.......Marks Mowing Service
  4. Popsicle

Popsicle LawnSite Member

$35 - $45 per man hour around these parts.
  5. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

Try? A dollar per minute,$60 per hour. Real? $40 to $60 per hour.
  6. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

50 per hour my minimum
  7. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I was wondering the same thing. I know that in our particular market and with the equipment I have I could make about twice as much per hour doing several small lawns an hour vs. one larger multi acre job. I know reasonable prices that would yeild good wages but I'm thinking about buying some customers and I don't think they are priced as high as they could be, but OK. I could probably raise them alittle and they wouldn't complain but I want to know if I should be happy with $40/hr or if I should try for more because I could easily get $60/hr at least (probably closer to $80) doing similar lawns at my price. Like I said I would talk to each customer and see about raising it, I probably could. Some of them are already priced pretty good but seems like some aren't. I just mean I want to know where to draw the line because double the money thats a serious difference. I know I am just a kid and don't have to support a family but as JimLewis said in a previous thread, the idea is to setup your biz now so it can support a family later. Makes perfect sense to me.
  8. gardenpro

gardenpro LawnSite Member
    from -

$350 a day labour (Canadian), or by the job. Trees wind up being more than $350.
  9. CCLS

CCLS LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

$35-$40 pmh. Sometimes upwords of $60 pmh depending on how many jobs completed in an hour.
  10. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Such a simple question with a complicated answer.

What I make per hour may or may not be what you need to make in your market with your expenses. There are many factors that go into pricing this way that I would advise you to look at these rates above and use them as a knowledge base for what these individuals make in THEIR market.
    If you go out and quote a customer 50 dollars an hour to mow their lawn based on someone elses numbers you may or may not get the job. What is the basis for the rate?
    You have to know your costs to run that piece of equipment or that crew, you have to factor in the costs of the other things you need like insurance, a vehicle and trailer to get it there, your shop, the heat for the shop, and the list goes on and on. Not impossible to do but certainly something you better do if you want to make it in business. Sorry for the dissertation but so many people just shoot a number in the air and say I want to make this amount and then wonder why they don't get jobs or get too many. It is a business and there is more to it than cutting grass if you want to accomplish your goal of being profitable. Good Luck.