1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hourly rate for helpers

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by soilman, Sep 30, 2005.

1. soilman

soilman LawnSite Member

I figure I can hire someone at about $10 per hour, to use my tools, to mow, edge, string-trim, and blow, including do fall cleanup blowing and leaf-bagging. I have 2 mowers. I'm not sure what to pay someone if I hire them to also pick up me and my tools, and themselves, and bring us to the job site. I guess I should pay them $10 per hour, plus an additional per-mile fee for use of their truck. No?

I'm on Long Island, eastern Suffolk County (Brookhaven Town), New York. Lawn-Guy-Land as some people here say it.

Honda harmony mower, bag or mulcher, instant switch
    Craftsman highwheel mower
    Poulan Weed Eater PE550 2-cycle edger
    Echo string trimmer
    Echo PB260L backpack blower (on order).

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

You don't have your own truck?
  3. soilman

soilman LawnSite Member

Correct. I have a big garden cart, one of those things with the 20-inch wheels, and have been putting my tools in that, and pulling it to jobs within a half a mile of my house. My neigbors seem willing to hire me to care for their lawns, so I am looking for jobs doing what people will allow me to do.

I have good good computer skills, good flyer-making skills, good bookkeeping skills, good classified ad writing skills, and good small-engine maintenance skills. I've put a help-wanted ad in a local weekly.
  4. soilman

soilman LawnSite Member

I put my tools in a cart like this.

Actually it is 26-inch (pneumatic) wheels.
  5. new2nash

new2nash LawnSite Member

I've hired guys who had their own trucks before. I believe the latest IRS rate is 48 cents per mile (you better verify that, going from memory). That rate is supposed to cover the latest gas price increases, eventual vehicle replacement, repairs, in short, everything pertaining to owning and operating a vehicle. I would go with that as a base figure and throw it at the guy, if he accepts, you got a deal. He may bring up a few issues- a truck costs more to operate than a car, hauling stuff around decreases gas mileage, etc...be willing to bend upwards a bit if necessary.
  6. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Even Bobby couldn't make up a story like this. Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction. :D :D :D
  7. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

Well, it works right? besides, if the customer is within a block or two, why get a truck totally loaded up when the little cart will do just fine?
  8. soilman

soilman LawnSite Member

Thanks new2nash.

I knew someone would know the IRS allowance! :)

In my cart I can fit my lawnmower; mower bag; gas can; string trimmer; edger; hand grass snaps for those few spots where string trimmer won't reach; 2-foot wide broom; flat garden spade; a small cooler bag with ice, homemade soft drinks, water, and sandwhiches; and a bag with trimmer line already wrapped on extra trimmer spool, face protector, goggles, dust mask, lawn and leaf bags, gas funnel, hose nozzle and shutoff valve, notepad, calculator, blank invoices, flyers.

I have trouble fitting in a garbage can in addition, but I like to bring a "clean" one that is used only for leaves, brush, compost, etcetera. I use the customer's can for coathangers, electrical wire, and other trash that I pick up off the lawn before mowing.
  9. soilman

soilman LawnSite Member

I think I will be able to squeeze in my backpack blower, if I leave out the garbage can.

I forgot -- I also bring hearing protectors that fit in the cart
  10. bobcatnj

bobcatnj LawnSite Senior Member

what a joke