Hourly rate for mowing and other services

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by b.lawncare, Feb 6, 2009.

1. b.lawncare

b.lawncare LawnSite Member

i usually charge $25 per man hour for anything I do on a yard. Whether it be mowing, bed work, planting flowers, or picking up trash. Trees are a little different though. I was wondering if other peolpe charged differently for these things?

2. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

I wish you were closer because I would sub you out and keep you very busy.:laugh::laugh::laugh: Do you mean if you mow,edge,trim and blow a lawn in 1 hour you charge 25?

3. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

blawn - raise them thar prices.....too dang cheap.

4. Tyler7692

Tyler7692 LawnSite Bronze Member

$25 an hour? Come on people. Please. Charge AS IF you had employees because hopefully your motive is to ONEDAY have employees if you don't now. If everyone did this, EVERYONE would make more money. Too many solos out there thinking that they are making a great living netting $15 an hour.

5. veck125

veck125 LawnSite Member

$60 or more is the going rate for most of the guys around my area.

6. sweetz

sweetz LawnSite Bronze Member

Hopefully this guys just giving us a line of B.S. to get us all tizzied up. Either that or he likes working for free.:hammerhead:

7. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Dude, you mst be the guy I lose a couple lawns to each year. The guy who "gave my client a price he couldn't refuse". Weatherford is an area that you can charge a lot more than $25 an hour for work. I don't get every bit f work that I estimate, but I shoot for $65.00 an hour for everything. Sure, I'll knock that down a little if I'm doing bed maintenance or something like that, but for anything that I use power equipment on, I charge what I can.

8. FYS777

FYS777 LawnSite Silver Member

lawn part varies with size, all other work 45 per hour per guy in our area. 25 way to low.

9. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

I get really bummed out if my gross per hour dips to $35 an hour :cry: :hammerhead: usually bidding errors etc. :eek:

I try to keep it closer to $60 per hour. $120 per hour really isn't possible around here unless your Flash from the Incredibles Pixar Movie. Even then people will come out of their house and object because you're making $2 a minute.

Once you factor in drive time, maintenance, flyer and door hanger patrol, pondering and planning for and about the business, trying to stay profitable for 2009 with all the low ballers who have little to no overhead & don't forget Commercial insurance, license renewals, bond renewals etc.

.... working at Costco Wholesale is looking pretty good. Even the company that handles the food sample crew pays $11 / $12 bucks per hour flexible days the guy told me. I would feel bad about contributing to isle clogging while people stuff their faces with goodies. :nono: Really irks me especially on weekends.

10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

You guys aren't taking a certain factor into this. Efficiency.

How much money you make per hour is very much dependant on how much work you can get done in an hour.

If one guy can only get one $25 lawn done in an hour then that's how much he makes.

If the next guy can get 2 $25 lawns done in an hour then he making twice as much per hour.

Not all lawn services are the same just like no two lawn services has the same overhead.

This proclaimed standard of $60 an hour set here is Lawnsite is bull poop. People's prices are all over the place and from what I've seen over the years, no two are the same.

As long as he is making a profit and is happy doing it then he's making enough money.

It's also not that hard to tell if you're making enough money. Just look at how many bills you are paying late (if any) and are you happy with your lifestyle.

Simple as that.