Hourly Rate For Skid Steer?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by bbailey, May 17, 2006.

1. bbailey

bbailey LawnSite Member
    from Vermont

Looking at purchasing a ASV RC30(used) for use in my excavating business. I was wondering what to charge for an hourly rate. Hope you guys can help!Thanks...
  2. Ron's Lawncare

Ron's Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

you can easly get $60.00-$80.00 per hr.

3. Tiller1240

Tiller1240 LawnSite Member

The way we normally charge for skid steer work is $250.00/day for the equipment/fuel, plus $45/hr for the operator. For a 10hr work day this would give you a total cost of $700.00 (which would work out to $70/hr). Where this is more advantageous for us is for smaller jobs. A 4hr project would run $430 (which is about $105/hr). We do this because the 4hr projects still tie up the skid steer for a better part of the day.

Gary Weiss
    PerfiCut Lawn & Landscape
  4. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

We charge $$80 an hour for our skid steer, but everyone's area is a little bit different.
  5. bbailey

bbailey LawnSite Member
    from Vermont

Thanks for the replys so far,do not want to overcharge or undercharge. Your input will help with my final desicion.
  6. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

The bigger the machine the more you need to get per hour since the job will be done faster.

Also the ASV RC30 will go places a big skid steer will not.
    We get 45 an hour for Tractor work.
    I am shooting for 65 and hour for my new skid steer.
    There is no way I would work for any less than 45 and hour.
    Loaders make around 80 to 110 an hour here.
  7. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

company i work for charges $75 an hour for a case 1840...includes fuel and operator
  8. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I'd shoot for 70 and hour.

I have a new 246b and only use it for hardscaping. Its not for hire so i do not have a set hourly rate that i charge. THe machine sits alot, but it puts $$ in my pocket by saving ALOT of labor and the payment is way less than i spent renting!

9. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

You're not going to hire it out? Gotta pay those bills! I'd be hitting the street getting side work for that monster, you could do quite a bit of "construction" work with that machine. You could do garage pads, land clearing, grading, etc. Just a thought.
  10. dccarling

dccarling LawnSite Member

I like to charge by the job rather than by the hour but when I do have to, my rate is 100. an hour which includes fuel and operator. The only other charge is for transportation which is 350. for both to and from the job site. I have a ASV RC-100, 4 in 1 bucket, bradco 611 backhoe, MX8 harley rake and a set of forks. The reason charging by the job is better most of the time is if I tell you $1200. to power rake a 20k sq-ft lawn you think it's a great deal (and it is) but if I tell you 100 an hour plus transport fees, you think it's outrageous. Even though it's only a couple hours and would have cost you less money.