hourly rate

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by lawnandplow42, Jun 30, 2005.

1. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 LawnSite Senior Member

what is a good starting hourly rate for labour?

2. charlies

charlies LawnSite Senior Member
    from earth

It depends on whether you mean for you, or for someone you hire.

Someone you hire is an easy one.

No experience, no license: don't hire them
    1-2 years, no car: 8
    1-2, w/car: 9
    2-5, no car: 9-10
    2-5 w/car: 10-15 depending on what they are doing for you.

For yourself, a little harder. Depends on the area, competition, and your experience. I don't really care much about these things myself. More important to me are what you need to make and whether you are trying to grow or trying to improve your client base. I would say for a small start-up: 40$ per hour. For Improving client base 60$ per hour. Of course, we don't have a problem with "I'll mow anything for $10" guys.

3. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I'm paying a brand new laborer $8 per hour. When he get's more experience and can handle more equipment I'll jack that up.

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Sheee, around here they pay 6.50 to 7 / hr for 1-2 years WITH car.

5. SellOut

SellOut LawnSite Member
    from Zone 8

That's not even minimum wage here. :rolleyes:

6. charlies

charlies LawnSite Senior Member
    from earth

in our particular zip code, we don't have an uncountable population of illegals driving the rate down for the honest hard-working Americans. (and we all know that anyone working for us lco's is hard working)

7. MacPhersonlawn

MacPhersonlawn LawnSite Member

I charge $45 to $50 for my labor(non lawn mowing). If I have an employee working I change $30 per hour. For Lawn Mowing I charge $70 per hour (me and a helper). It's all based on your expenses. It took me two years to learn that. At the end of the second year I was not making any money because I was not charging enough. Don't get caught up in undercharging unless you have another income. It will catch up to you.

I pay new help:

$9.00/hr no experience to start
    $9.50/hr w/experience to start
    $10/hr once I know they will show up every day and they can work
    a customers house without being told what to do every minute.

8. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

$40 per man, per hour for general labor. $50-60 per man, per hour for mowing.

9. ZaK18

ZaK18 LawnSite Member

Your question is to general... The rate varies across the Country, and differs depending on the task,( i.e. a landscaping should get more than maintaince). In Texas I can comfortably charge $45 per hour Solo, or $65 per hour with a helper.

10. Newbie07

Newbie07 LawnSite Member

*****Your question is to general... The rate varies across the Country, and differs depending on the task,( i.e. a landscaping should get more than maintaince). In Texas I can comfortably charge $45 per hour Solo, or $65 per hour with a helper.******

I am confused. Is that what you are chargin to do the yard. You charge 45 for the yard or 65 if you have help and then give them 20. I think that's it but not too sure. Thanx

Travis