Hourly Rate

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by calvarylandscapegroup, Jul 26, 2010.

1. NarNar

NarNar LawnSite Senior Member

Point me to this line!

2. Fawcett

Fawcett LawnSite Member

I work for myself and I ask for $25-30 per hour for labor, when I mow I look for $40 per hour but usually average more than that. I'm a bit of an efficiency freak so jobs with fixed prices (mowing) are my most profitable. I always keep track of how many hours my mower/machines are running and have to figure that they are costing me atleast $3 an hr in 91 octane fuel alone. After I finish the job I write down my hours, my fuel costs, and then I figure out a fair price and submit the bill. At times I cut my customers a break so that I don't financially burn them out.

3. ajslands

ajslands LawnSite Silver Member

That's what I make doing tree work...
    50hr for labor.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. calvarylandscapegroup

calvarylandscapegroup LawnSite Member

Thanks I did watch the video and it was a big help to me. I want to make sure I am price myself honest and competitive. Do you have any video about pricing mowing, mulching, pretty much all the other aspects of landscaping especially plowing. I have gotten so many different pricing opinions about "per push" and seasonal contracts.

5. ajslands

ajslands LawnSite Silver Member

1.25$ pr minute. Their Noe you know how to do it and you didn't even need a video.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. AzLawnMan

AzLawnMan LawnSite Senior Member

Another "hour" thread! I posted in another thread that I just dont understand hourly rates. I get calls all the time asking me "what I charge by the hour" I always resopond the same, "I dont charge by the hour, I charge by the job". My tree crew did a job today 15- ficus trees, trimming and shaping I charged $625. It took my crew of 4 guys 2 hours from start to finish. So that comes out to $312.50 an hour. So if I charged like some of you at $40-60 and hour not much money there. If I charged $125 an hour, well I just lost a couple of hundred. If I think about it, I think I charge $125 every half-hour! If I was charging by the hour like some of you I would assume I would be swamped with work. But I enjoy charging what I think is fair and from this time last year we are up $98k and I am upset that the phone doesnt ring as much. I have about a 75% close rate and thats down 8% from 2 years ago. I am not happy with our numbers right now, I think I would shut my doors if I had to charge $40-60 an hour. :hammerhead: Dont wanna sound like an A$$ but thats just what I charge and thats how I feel.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  7. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

You still need to know how much you cost an hour. How do you know how much you profited?

BTW it comes out to 78.125 an hour :hammerhead: not 312.50 you would have been better off charging 125 and hour LMAO. WOW...

8. AzLawnMan

AzLawnMan LawnSite Senior Member

Lets see $625 divided by 2 hours = $312.50. There is this machine that when you put numbers into it, it will tell you answers. Maybe you have heard of it, its called a calculator. Its usually black and has a bunch of numbers on it. Why dont you re-read my post because I dont even understand where you got your numbers from. :dizzy:
    I know exactly what my costs are per hour, but im gonna share a secret with you, the key is to make more than your costs. So from 7/1/10 to today my costs for doing business are $87,310.08 and my income is, well if you knew that you would probobly be upset with yourself.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  9. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

4 people 2 hours total that's 8 man hours... 625/8=78.125 78.125 is how much you made per man hour. Glad you're making millions :dizzy:

10. cut level

cut level LawnSite Senior Member

Dude his business made a gross profit of $312 per hour no matter how you look at it. Stop fighting it. I dont understand why folks even post these "what do ya charge" threads. I am glad his business is doing that and if I am not mistaken he is the LCO in Zona that deals with higher end homes than most of us have. I dont charge by the hour per say.

I look at the job think about it, I do think about how long its gonna take but it may take 2 of us 4 hours to do a trim job of all the beds and trees but I think about the physical labor as well as the end product that I am gonna give em and come up with it from there.

I think a lot of folks get hung up on oh my gosh what hourly rate to calculate!! that they screw themselves hard on their potential profit.

I mean I picked up a property the other day where I was 25% cheaper than the current company was charging for weekly maintenance. I I have 4 properties in this subdivision and. They were fired up to get it done cheaper and I made the other company look like they were rookies after I left their place. They hired me and fired them the same afternoon. I also picked up all the bed maintenance, irrigation maintenance, fert, the whole 9 yards. I think the other company was reaming them at that price. I dont know what there cost to do business is and dont care.

Me by myself it took an hour and 40 minutes the first cut and it is a $65 job. I was by myself and I wanted to make the last company really look like they were shortchanging the clients on the quality of cut. I took a little extra time "getting it right". My help wasnt with me but if he was we are in and out in 40 minutes.