Hourly rate?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by FredricksonLandscaping, Jun 26, 2013.

1. FredricksonLandscaping

FredricksonLandscaping LawnSite Member
    from MA

I am new to landscaping and I need to know what to charge per hour for maintenance. Any help would be much appreciated.

2. trock

trock LawnSite Senior Member

Shouldnt u have this figured out be you start?

3. Callahan's Lawn Services

Callahan's Lawn Services LawnSite Member

There is a ton of things to factor into this, what are your overhead costs being most important! Then what type of work are you doing, ie.mowing trimming blowing, actual landscape maintenance, mulch installation and list goes on. Also the quality of work you do. You can't charge top dollar for doing the same quality work as a neighborhood kid. Which no offense meant because I've seen some dang great work from some kids. Figure out your costs first off then decide what a fair amount that you want to make an hour and then try it out. Much luck to ya, search for my operating costs thread, it may or may not point you in the right direction.

4. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

Mowing prices better to go by the size of the prop. A 20" mower will take way more time then a 48" mower. Can not charge more because your mowers are not best suited.

Other work shoot for $60 hr until you learn your costs. Good starting point. Though no substitute learning your costs.

5. Callahan's Lawn Services

Callahan's Lawn Services LawnSite Member

^^^^^Well put^^^^^ you can't charge the customer because of the shortfalls of your equipment.

6. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

For mowing you can start out charging a buck per inch per hour with a ztr until you figure out your costs and what you really need to charge.

7. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

I remember when I was a kid and went on my own framing houses I asked the dude I used to work for how much to charge. He replied " as much as you can" At the time I thought he was being a jerk and didn't want to tell me. A few yrs in I realized he was absolutely correct and told me exactly what to charge.

8. FredricksonLandscaping

FredricksonLandscaping LawnSite Member
    from MA

I have an exmark 48 walk behind and I usually try to do 60 per hr
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. TML

TML LawnSite Senior Member

I myself and have noticed others in my area and on this site who have been successful. (Im striving to be one of them) have worked for established companies for some time in the past. That way you know what works, what does not, and get an idea on how long various jobs and tasks take as well as learn how to do them efficiently. You can still work for yourself on the side if your just starting. No idea of your background so this may not even be possible. 45-60 per hour seems to be the norm for basic hand held equipment type work.
    Posted via Mobile Device